Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 AM

Default 5/10 hand

this hand was played at my friend's house so i didnt have stats and whatnot.

six-handed on stars. Villain, UTG, opens for 40, I'm on CO and have JJ (suits are irrelevant) and raise to 145.

Villain isn't that good imo and has done weird things like opening to 60 and then folding to a re-raise. He's been FAIRLY laggy pf, nothing insane. He's probably running at like 30/18, 30/20 or something. I dunno.

Anyway, villain calls my re-raise quickly. He calls so quickly (within 1-2 seconds) that I dont think he can have KK or AA (people take a lot more time to decide what to do with these hands). he MIGHT have QQ but i sincerely doubt it. The main range I put him on is 66-TT and AK.

Flop comes 642 rainbow.

Villain checks, I bet 233. Villain tanks, runs timer down and calls.

Turn is a 6.

VIllain checks again. He's either got a set and slowplaying my ass, or he has 55/77-TT like always here. There's 770 in the pot and I have just over a pot size bet left (villain covers).

What's my move? Shove? Bet small? check to induce a bluff on riv?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: 5/10 hand

i think aa-qq is a pretty big part of his range here and that you should check behind. v unlikely he has ak here and that's the only card to worry about giving a free card to and even if he does have AK he's only got 6 outs. otherwise he's got 2 outs so it's basically a way ahead/way behind situation.

check behind and call a bet on all non ace rivers
Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 AM

grimstarr,

with my in-game read, i put this particular opponent on AA-QQ here almost never.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 AM

I check here and re-evaluate river.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 AM

I hate to state the obvious but whether I check or bet depends on:

1) how likely he is to call me with basically a bluff-catcher
2) how much more likely he is to call with a bluff-catcher if I check the turn (this must take into account the chance that a scare card will come and make him fold)
3) how likely he is to bet the river for absolutely no reason with a hand that should definitely check to you again

The answers to #1,2 are generally correlated to how often I've been betting the turn at this table. So as a generic answer I'd say that I would bet here if I have been firing a lot on the turn and check here otherwise, but #3 could possibly override and turn it into a definite check.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 AM

with given info i would shove and feel v good about it.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM

shove
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check behind and call a bet on all non ace rivers

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that? You think he´s afraid of HERO having something like AK/AQ/AJ and therefore only bet the river A-card if he has a strong ace himself? I pretty much doubt it. I dont think he will have a strong ace here very often but we check the turn because it will be easier to get paid from his mediumstrengthhands after we check the turn. This is a WA/WB situation.

And Bruin. Ofcourse it depends on how capable you are of doublebarreling in reraised pots. I doubt thats your standard play when you dont have a hand, correct me if I wrong. We HAVE to balance the times we check behind with air on the turn and JJ in this spot is a perfect hand to balance it with.