Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 12:39 PM

Default MIS degree...

I was thinking about majoring in MIS but not quite sure what its all about. Does any one know what exactly a job in the MIS field will entail and how much money I could make in MIS.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Re: MIS degree...

You mean MRS?

Long term salary is half of what your husband makes + interest. Good job security, possible alimony benefits, etc.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:53 AM

MIS is for Management Information Systems.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:59 PM

i just took an MIS course this semester, and saddly, i have no idea what the course was really supposed to teach you. we just learned about the basics of computers and technology, and where things are going. but in general, i have no idea what jobs you could get with this degree (other than of course teaching an MIS 357 course), or how much u would make. saddly, i too am interested in this answer.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:04 PM

basically its a business degree with some computer courses tacked on. You take classes such as basic programming, networking, and systems analysis. I've heard its a pretty easy degree but I have some friends who got it and they became consultants and system analysts. around 40-50k.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically its a business degree with some computer courses tacked on. You take classes such as basic programming, networking, and systems analysis. I've heard its a pretty easy degree but I have some friends who got it and they became consultants and system analysts. around 40-50k.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly right. I got my degree in MIS from UNLV. It's a pretty easy degree, and extremely broad. you can go into IT if you like, or the business side such as business and system analysts. I went the IT route (information security) and currently work at M$SFT, studying for the cissp. You will easily make around 40k-50k right out of school. It prepares you more for the management side, then the technical side, just fyi.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 AM

do u think u can move up in pay easily or does it cap around a certain amount
Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 AM

I am doing my masters in MIS right now and I'm excited about the job opportunities available. I am concentrating on Data mining and CRM applications and I think you can get 60K-70K out of college.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do u think u can move up in pay easily or does it cap around a certain amount

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on what route you want to take, you can definitely move up in pay pretty easily. You can get a pretty good idea for salaries at salary.com Just plugin what you think you want to do and it gives you from entry-level to CIO salaries, with medians, etc...all free of course. The thing i've learned about IT is that people are moving around all the time, so the opportunities to obtain new skills and move up are always available.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:25 PM

I got an MIS BBA about six years ago. Besides my core business classes, I had to take:
- systems analysis (figuring out what inputs and outputs of data you want with a computer network or system, and what users will need to use the system)
- systems design (designing a network around those inputs, outputs, and users...very intense on data structure and integrity)
- systems implementation (actually creating a system with live data, user types and interfaces)
- database structure (heavy on theory and MS-Access, hit Oracle in last month or so)
- C++ programming and Visual C++ (I'm sure that's changed by now, I think they at least do Java)
- Computer hardware (overview of computer components and capabilities)

As far as how easy it was, I'd say that accounting was definitely harder (and longer with CPA class requirements), finance and maybe marketing were about as hard, and the other programs weren't as hard as MIS. Guess it depends on how computer savvy you are before jumping in.

They had MIS electives also, like Network Configuration (actually setting up the servers, routers, cables, etc. from scratch), HTML and webpage design, and a few others. My first job in college was setting up dorm hall residents on the residential network. I installed and configured their network cards (we issued static IP addresses, such a bitch...they moved to dynamic when I left). I had another job as the guy at the front desk of the computer lab. If you know your way around MS-Office and Internet Explorer, this is a cool job to meet and impress chicks and make a few bucks screwing around on the internet.

Most people I knew from the MIS program went on to be programmer/analysts for computer companies, starting off around $35-40K....maybe $60K on the high end for programming-intensive jobs. One guy had an Apple-based consulting company, I'm sure he's still doing that and making good money. One guy was an excellent programmer, did an internship where he learned CORBA programming, got picked up by a telecom company and is making six figures. One of my best friends is a network admin for a DOD contractor, makes around $70K + more on side gigs. Although he didn't do an MIS program, if he went to college, he definitely would have and would be making more than he is now.

I went on to get a finance MBA, but my first job after that was heavy into Access development for a DOI consulting firm. We used every program in MS-Office, and I became the go-to guy for software issues. Right now I'm a credit analyst for a bank, but everyone comes to me with their computer issues. I also get occasional side gigs to train people on how to use a PC (think "for Dummies") and to develop things like small Access databases and Powerpoint presentations. Very handy on a resume.

You don't have to be a programmer to do well in MIS, but it helps a bunch. That's the one thing I struggled with, but I became adept at all MS-Office programs. Suggest talking to your business school admissions office and asking them what their MIS program entails. Also suggest researching the program online and maybe contacting student clubs that are into computers (it was AITP when I was in school).

ScottieK