Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 10:17 PM

Default accupuncture

I've tried it several times. I didn't have great results. There was one treatment where he applied what looked like green soap that had a texture of putty and it drew all of the swelling out of my ankle.

I went to a traditional japanese accupuncturist who is regarded as the best in the park cities area (re: extremely wealthy area of dallas/entire country)

I thought that the help in pain reduction was minimal, and for $100 a session I didn't want to continue doing it.

He would stick a bunch of tiny tiny tiny needles in my ankle then rub a sort of ash inside of them, that sort of burned.

Accupuncture is based on the idea that the body has an electrical system sort of, and that pain is caused by problems with that current, and that the pain can go away by re-chanelling the system.

I will say that whatever he used to draw out the swelling, it was great, does anyone know what that stuff is called? It was a green putty that sort of looked like soap, and he wrapped it in a bandage and then it hardened on my ankle.

Overall I wasn't very impressed, although I think that for smaller injuries or maybe headaches it could work.

W/O a doubt it was very relaxing and sedating. They played japanese music and burned a very light incense and the Dr. was very soft spoken and gentle.

Anyone else have any experience with accupuncture?

-Tex
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: accupuncture

I went to an acupuncture clinic twice in the last month or so
to deal with stress-related stomach pains and it was pretty effective. Guy said something about my liver being the root of the symptoms, and stuck needles in my ears, stomach, ankles and arms for 20 minutes. The bill was sliding scale, meaning I could choose how much I wanted to pay. Got a herb tincture on my second visit.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 PM

When I was 16, I fell on a step on a deck and banged my hang really hard on a rock breaking my fall.

The ball of my thumb swelled a lot. My mom took me to an accupuncturist, as Asians are prone to do.

They stuck like 10 needles in my hang, which hurt like a mofo. After a couple days, no change. The swelling slowly went down over the days with ice being my primary treatment.

I don't believe in accupuncture now and will never go do it again.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:22 AM

The art/science of accupunture is bogus, but apparently there is an effect (likely placebo).
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 AM

Acupuncture is not a 'belief' nor does it work via a placebo effect.

They have done some interesting studies on acupuncture, here is a link to one such study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...l=pubmed_docsum