Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM

Default travelling to cuba

whats the deal for travelling to cuba? i get the impression that a lot of americans do it now, just go through any other country and then into cuba. i just talked to a friend and he was scared of the idea because of illeagality... is it important to do it in a way so the passport doesn't get stamped, reprecussions risks, experiences? cuba sounds like a sweet place
Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: travelling to cuba

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html

I don't think travel is restricted, just trade.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html

I don't think travel is restricted, just trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

...But then again...

[ QUOTE ]
Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations will face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM

It is probably OK to visit Cuba. There have been a few recent cases of the US Govt cracking down on this though. Even if the Cubans do not stamp your passport US Customs can deduct you were in Cuba from your departure & return stamps in the 3rd country (say MX). If they see you left MX on the 15th & returned to MX on the 20th, and there is no stamp from the country you visited for those 5 days they will deduce from this that you were in Cuba. Maybe they will care, maybe they won't.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they see you left MX on the 15th & returned to MX on the 20th, and there is no stamp from the country you visited for those 5 days they will deduce from this that you were in Cuba. Maybe they will care, maybe they won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the issue when I went. The Cubans laid off my passport but you better have a story why you have 2 entry stamps for Mexico. I wasn't asked but I had a story ready (something about driving over the Mexican border and back, probably would have failed but you gotta be prepared).

Those who said trade not travel is illegal, well try going there and not trading any of your money for food, booze or a place to sleep.

I loved it and would recommend Cuba to anyone. IMO, the laws exist to target a certain population of people and regular folks just going for a holiday are probably fine. Don't get stupid and try to bring back tons of cigars and rum or leaflets from some pro-Castro group or something.

I stayed in Havana and Guanabo, which is a beach town about 12 km from Havana. Did not go to the most beautiful beaches but I saw busloads of Germans and other Europeans headed that way. Stay in the city for a bit taking in the music and culture then go hit the beach, rent a motorbike and relax. Be sure to take in some baseball (I brought 5 mitts and 10 balls to give away and the kids went nutso for them) and see Latin America's biggest cemetary, which is almost entirely white marble and above ground.

KJS
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Good luck. Cuba is the bomb, I went there last year (I'm Canadian), but all guides/etc. told us that the numbers for American travellers have plumetted in the past few years due to recent laws and I'm pretty sure it costs something like 10k to travel there if you're American (look this up, I'm not 100% sure).

http://www.ibike.org/cuba/ofac/cuba-travelto.htm <-- seems like a good site for information on the situation.

As far as Cuba itself goes, it's a very nice place for tourists (not so much for those who live there). I stayed at an all-included resort in Valadero (about 2 hours from La Havana, and a tourist place. incredible beach) which was pretty nice. Food is OK at best. Beaches are the best, incredibly beautiful. La Havana is very nice and there are a lot of organized trips to see it (from Varadero). Definitely get some cigars, they are amazing. Nothing like the crap you get here, and so cheap too. I bought both legal ones from a cigar shop and illegal ones from randome people at the market. The illegal seemed like they were the exact same except they lacked the "tobacco taxes paid" sticker. If I were to go back, I'd definitely buy at least 1-2 boxes of 50 illegal ones.

If you can go, it's a nice place, but I don't know if I'd go through the hassle required since you're American. There's a buttload of other nice countries in the area (Bahamas, Guadeloupe, etc.).
Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 PM

As far as I understand it, the normal plan is to get a Cuban visa in Mexico City, fly to Cuba, get the passport stamps on a piece of paper (which the Cubans are quite happy to do), and return home via Mexico. The only problem is explaining to US immigration where you were while you were not in Mexico, as Mexican immigration will stamp your passport. The stndrad reason most people apparently gave in te past was that they had to return to the US for a while (as your passport wasn't stamped in the past when you re-entered the US). I don't know whether they can now check up on these things after 9/11. and it may be an issue if you are only transiting Mexico on your way back. The Thorn Tree forums on the Lonely Planet website (www.lonelyplanet.com) will give you a definite answer if you need more info, but plenty of people do it, without getting into trouble.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM

thanks for the responses. a quick search of ways to get to cuba showed up cubalinda.com which had flights from Mexico, and then from Nassau Bahamas which is where the Atlantis Pokerstars Tournamnet is going ot be in a couple of weeks. i'm surprised you guys have those stories, one of the first things i read which makes sense is it was suggested, don't lie if they ask about it, just say what you did. the situation for lying (which seems transparent) is worse than just saying the truth right away.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Raul might be close to taking over. http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005871074
Old 12-15-2006, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm surprised you guys have those stories, one of the first things i read which makes sense is it was suggested, don't lie if they ask about it, just say what you did. the situation for lying (which seems transparent) is worse than just saying the truth right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in the habit of admitting it when I break the law.

KJS