Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2006, 03:20 AM

Default First Post: Loose Villain, need help with flop decision

Hi everyone,

This is my first hand post. I've lurked for several years now and have resolved to massively ramp up my game in 2006. Thanks for bearing with me as I don't think I used the converter correctly.

The villain has been playing loose, and I believe he is seeing cheap flops with any two cards. I believe my image is "tight" at this point in tournament. My intention is to call preflop with position and then try to take down pot on flop.

Please flame as necessary. All feedback is helpful.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t1610)
Hero (t1468)
SB (t1000)
BB (t805)
UTG (t1605)
UTG+1 (t1590)
MP1 :#A500AF(villain)/ (t2947)
MP2 (t2090)
MP3 (t4120)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 :#A500AF(villain)/ calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">villain bets t200</font>, Hero ?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:23 AM

Default Re: First Post: Loose Villain, need help with flop decision

[ QUOTE ]

Please flame as necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you doing preflop?!?!?!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:26 AM

Fold preflop. And then again on the flop. There's no reason for you to "take down" a pot this early on. J6 is just awful. Fold preflop. And then again on the flop. Just making sure you got it.

Edit: Just because you're on the button doesn't mean you should play any two cards. If your hand was a nice suited connector or a small pocket pair, then the limp is fine. But seriously, J6? Why?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much covered it there.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:31 AM

Fold preflop.

FYI In the future, state the buyin when you post a hand.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:35 AM

yeah idk about preflop. I think what your trying to do is something that alot of pros do to try and accumulate chips -cept your doing it wrong. If your late in position and you know your opponent has say a range of hands from A-K through K-J, you call late in position with any two cards and bet when you know or think he didn't hit. Same goes if you put him on pocket 7s-Js. When a high card comes you bet in position. However, in your case, after a flop like that I don't think you can call. Besides the fact that SO MANY cards come on the turn that can slow you down (any club, any 3, or any 5. u can even include any card above a 6 besides a Jack). So even if you are winning here, its just not worth it to call. Hell, if he has a flush or even a strait - your more or less drawing dead!!!! Raising is an option but I'd consider it more of a bluff or semi-bluff than anything else. Keep your focus at this point more on staying out of this kind of situation though.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much sums it up.

Your goal is to play this hand against the villian, b/c he seems loose and likes cheap flops, etc. and yet UTG+1 has limped, villian has limped, you limp (vomit) and the SB can very easily complete and the BB check. So now you're gonna outplay the villian PLUS 3 other opponents with J6o? Are you serious? Then when the flop comes monotone and has straight possibilities and the villian leads into 4 other players you are wondering what your move should be with TPNK with more than half the cards in the deck beating your top pair on the turn? There is so much wrong with this hand and your thinking. I think you should focus on learning solid ABC poker and leave all this FPS crap alone. Welcome to the boards and don't expect many kind responses.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. Very helpful! For the record, the buy in was $20. Everytime I deviate from ABC poker, I get hammered. Thanks again!