Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Still early enough to play cash game style? Take a vote.

Last night I was playing in a qualifier where the top 5% qualify for the next one. There were 150 people left and 17 qualify.

At the time this hand happened, I (hero) had t2380 and the blinds were 50/100. I was the second largest stack at the table. The guy on my right barely had me covered.

I was dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in CO + 1. It was folded around to the guy to my right who limped. I had been playing very tight and had a tight table image. The guy on my left (CO) also limped even though he only had t400. The button pushed with only t250. The SB folded, the BB called t250, the guy on my right called, I called, and the guy on my left called even though he was extremely short.

A lot of times I fold this hand with the shortstacks to my immediate left but these guys had already shown that they limp into pots with a shortie rather than pushing.

One other thing of note is that the BB was a calling station. The implied odds from that guy is another reason why I entered this pot.

After all the preflop betting, the pot was t1300. I had t2130.

The flop was 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian on my right leads for t600.

What should I do? I have two overs and a good draw. I've got 15 outs to beat a middle pair, 8ish? (help me out here) outs to beat a set, I'm crushing a straight draw. I've got 45% to beat a pair and a straight draw. The other factor is that the guy that had t250 preflop is all-in so I can't push villian out of the whole pot. My read on villian is that he's aggressive and I don't know yet whether or not he'll throw away a marginal hand to a big raise.

Based upon my read of my opponent and the situation, what range of hands do you put the villian on?

I've seen villian raise preflop most of the time he's entered a pot. I really don't think villian could have any pair higher than about 77 here. I think he raises preflop with any 20 rule hand or any pair better than 77 (possibly any pair, maybe). Another consideration is that villian knowingly bet into the all-in pot when there wasn't any side pot yet.

If you're me in this situation, what do you do? You're getting 3:1 odds to call. Folding equity is indeterminate given that I haven't seen the villain play enough hands yet. My guess would be that it's low because he's aggressive and because it's still relatively early in the tourney (at least I think it's early. Is it really early?). I think push, call, fold, are the best options, in that order. What do you think???