Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Default stud8 tracker (live & dead cards)

Good Day,

I have heard about some track programs to count dead and live cards over your play. Do you recomend pokerinspector or another kind of software?

Thanks a lot
loco
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: stud8 tracker (live & dead cards)

Good evening, this software is cheating.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I have some software that counts dead & live cards during my play...it's called a brain.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very new to stud games, and I find this interesting. I wouldn't have thought this was cheating, since to me the interesting skill is how you use the information about live cards. But I can see that obviously, if you know how to use the information properly, then having a good memory will give you an advantage over opponents who are just as skilled as you, but who have a worse memories.

Do people consider it cheating to write down the dead cards they see with pencil and paper? I'm not trying to argue that using the computer to help your memory shouldn't be considered cheating, just curious what people think should or shouldn't be allowed.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very new to stud games, and I find this interesting. I wouldn't have thought this was cheating, since to me the interesting skill is how you use the information about live cards. But I can see that obviously, if you know how to use the information properly, then having a good memory will give you an advantage over opponents who are just as skilled as you, but who have a worse memories.

Do people consider it cheating to write down the dead cards they see with pencil and paper? I'm not trying to argue that using the computer to help your memory shouldn't be considered cheating, just curious what people think should or shouldn't be allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Writing notes in a live game is not cheating, although you may get some funny looks. You could write down the dead cards but after a few minutes you'll realize that its easier just to learn how to do it in your head.

If you want to get better at 7 card games, I suggest you search the web for information, read stud books (there are posts on this in the archives), & hang out here...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Start by noticing the cards that matter to you ... i.e. if you had a 3-flush in spades, count the dead spades, if you have split aces count the aces and your kicker.

As you move on start counting cards that may affect unlikely straight draws, flush draws. When you have pairs do your best to remember the card ranks so you know how good of a chance you have at making two pair.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 PM

FYI, most sites are fine with programs like poker tracker which captures hand histories and stores them for every hand that is played. This not only allows you to track YOUR flaws and holes, but your opponents as well. This kind of thing is not considered cheating.

However, these sames sites are very clear that programs to track up cards in stud are in fact cheating. Sometimes the line is fuzzier than you would think.

But really, be glad you have to learn to track the cards. In this game that is the edge you'll have over most of your opponents and why Stud can be very profitable.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologize to upset people here!
I find it interesting either. Is more than just a brain counting cards. I can do that as well. Is also giving you the correct odds to check, call, raise or fold. Speeding your knowledge up in the low limit games.
PokerOffice does the same over the game in Hold'em and people dont talk about cheating.

Anyway. Good night here now
Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologize to upset people here!
I find it interesting either. Is more than just a brain counting cards. I can do that as well. Is also giving you the correct odds to check, call, raise or fold. Speeding your knowledge up in the low limit games.
PokerOffice does the same over the game in Hold'em and people dont talk about cheating.

Anyway. Good night here now

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not upsetting anybody...least not me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 AM

There are a couple of threads on this very subject linked in the FAQ. There is a wealth of other good stuff in there too. I'm always deeply flattered when people take the time to read the FAQ. Anyway, I wouldn't want to do anything that might break a site's rules (I think they have ways of detecting such programs, too). You won't be able to use such a program when you go play $75/150 with Jeff and Carlos at the Borg, so you may as well prepare for this now.

Bandied.