Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 AM

Default 6th Street Decision. $5/$10 Stud High.

No read on this player. What is my play on 6th?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.10 SB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (6.55 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___???
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Total pot: (7.55 BB)
Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM

Default Re: 6th Street Decision. $5/$10 Stud High.

No read at all? Was this shorthanded or full game? Game playing aggro?

It looks to me that villain either has rolled up 5's or he doesn't. Pocket tens would have raised again on third. Is he bad enough that he could play 10-5 in the hole this way? I think that's possible if he's very loose, unlikely otherwise. Maybe a slowplayed AA (or similar) in the hole? Seems like a good possibility. You're not beating much on 5th basically unless he blows. And he's raising a very coordinated board with a ragged one - maybe pocket ducks? Yea, I'm not liking this so much against your typical player. But anyway, you call 5th (not ripping you to hard for it against an unknown - I'm very tired and doing a stream of conscious thing with my thought process).

On 6th, you check. Your hand is pretty transparent and he seems to like his a lot - can you fold if you get raised? I think a bet is going in anyway when you check and you really don't want to get popped here. If he's got something real weak, free cards arent a big deal anyway. I think you're probably boned here.

I think 5th is more interesting than 6th.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 02:26 AM

Jeffage, do you think folding 5th is an option when he raises facing my fairly strong board? My experience is that many players will raise with two pair in this situation as long as you aren't showing an open pair, so I convinced myself to continue. I used to always be afraid of trips in similar situations, but I decided this was way too weak.

On 6th, I bet out hoping he had (T 5) in the hole (or perhaps a slow-played pocket pair between 9's and K's), since opponents at this level can't fold two pair, but he raised me and I folded. I considered checking, but if I am going to call a bet if I check, is it not better to bet out and hope that he calls with a worse two pair, providing I can fold if raised? This probably gives me a better idea of whether or not he is full than by checking, and this way I don't miss a bet if he has a smaller two pair that he refuses to fold. I think I'd probably be more comfortable check-folding than check-calling. Should I simply check-fold in this spot against an unknown?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 AM

Default Hello,Dsaxton! Folding on 5th would have been correct....

When U bet UR single pair and he raised U,that's usually an indication that he at least have UR one pair beat.
Making a strong play on an expensive round does not make much sense unless the player believes he has U beat.
HappyPokering,
SittingBull
Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 AM

I'd fold 5th, but if I called 5th I'd check/call 6th as the cards fell and bet/fold the river.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 AM

Fifth street is the fold.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM

He'd have to be an idiot not to have you beat, if not crushed. I think 5th was where you say "I'm not sure how, I hate it but I know I'm smoked" and move on.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 AM

Since you paired your K on 6th, I'd bet. He may have raised you on 5th with 2 smaller pair hoping to take it down. If you get reraised, consider folding since one of the Kings is dead.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM

I don't play a lot of stud, but for what it's worth, I would check fold 6th. If he doesn't have me beat bad he's too good for me. I've only got 3 outs to a boat and that's what I think I'll need to have a chance at this pot. Even a boat might not be good enough. It's troubling that he seemed to like that 2 on 5th. Hard to believe he's in there on 34 in the hole. If he tries something like this next time we're heads up, I'll have to call him down and find out what he's up to, but for the time being I'm inclined to believe.

Also, I have no problem with folding when he raises 5th.
SK
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 PM

A lot of players will play a buried pair (especially Aces or Kings) passively until 5th, then make a raise. If your opponent (hero in this case) has bricked a draw, this is a good play, because you can often win the pot this way. Even if the opponent (hero in this case) has a pair, it will put him in fear of two pair (as evidenced by the "fold Fifth" responses so far).

The question is, would villain make this play? If so, play on. If this is an accurate asssment, he only has two pair on Six, and you are winning. He might be playing something as weak as Jacks or Queens this way, especially since his cards and the dead cards make a straight very unlikely for hero

The only hands that beat hero that would be played this way are things like (AA)5 or (55)5. I would put the chances of (specifically T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] )5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],(52)5 and (22)5 much lower, as I don't think those survive Third Street.

So, on Six, bet/call (I would need a better read on the player to go: bet/3-bet/call-down), and call down. If you can't give him credit for either rolled Fives or pocket Aces, you have to play.