Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Default NBA picks thus far: Tentative / open for discussion

Although NBA has a robust slate tonight, nothing stands out as a mistake by the bookmakers. Lots of games with give spreads, some of them very tricky. Knicks +6.5 against Atlanta? Beats me. Nets +7 against Milawakee? Ditto.

Here are two picks I'm leaning closely toward:

Minnesotta (+9) v. Spurs: Spurs given +9, IMO, because they have been destroying competition as of late. Of course, competition destroyed are the clippers, who are the Spurs' whipping boys in the West.

Minny has a decent road record and have been playing good basketball as of late. They have two fast guards that should give San Antonio problems. Garnett matches well against Duncan in terms of athleticism. He's been playing spirited basketball lately, and although Minesotta has "announced" being out of the Iverson trade, Garnett should come in psychologically pumped for the game. Given all of this, Minny is getting +9, I can see them losing this by 7 or less.

2. Pistons over Pacers (-2): Detroit matches up well against Indiana in every position, IMO. They've been playing extremely well lately; they're win at Orlando was impressive. Last time they had this much time off, they lost pretty badly, so I think veterans will take this into account and adjust accordingly. Pistons have a lot of pride when it comes to fixing errors. Pacers have played only one good team this year - Orlando - and they got whipped by them twice. It also implies that Pacers record is inflated. Imagine what will happen when they start playing some real competition in the West?

Rick Carlisle coached the Pistons and he's still one of the best in the NBA. Still, this is a different Pistons team with a different coach + Carlisle's team doesn't have the talent to maximize what he wants.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: NBA picks thus far: Tentative / open for discussion

I really like Detroit for this reason: they are winning on the road consistently, have won their last 3, and Al Harrington and Jermaine O'Neal are injured (and I'm not sure if either are coming back tonight). Add to the fact the Stephen Jackson drama (suspended for the last game, we'll see what happens tonight), and Detroit becomes a more attractive pick.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:50 PM

I like the DET pick more and more. I can see MIN having a letdown fter the anticipation of getting iverson, now they re back to the one man show again. Its unpredicatble if the cover vs SA or not.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM

I've been looking around the web -- does anyone know the status of Harrington, O'Neal, and Jackson?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Pacers should be healthy.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/612130461
Old 12-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Even when healthy, these players are going to have a nice welcome back playing the Pistons. Still like the Pistons.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Agreed -- the injuries would make it an easier pick. I'm more 60-40 than 70-30 about the certainty of the Pistons, specifically because of the O'Neal/Muhammed match up.