Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 AM

Default All loving God? (Bible quotes post)

Just thought I'd post some interesting Bible quotes about this all-loving, all-caring, all-forgiving, omnibenevolent God we always get preached about. Enjoy:

If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.
Leviticus 20:9

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.
Leviticus 20:10

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death.
Leviticus 20:13

Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death
Exodus 22:19

If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house
Deuteronomy 22:20-1

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.
Deuteronomy 7:1-2

When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves... This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them as the Lord your God has commanded you.
Deuteronomy 20:10-17

I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts [the sacrifice of every firstborn] that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.
Ezekiel 20:25-26

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
Exodus 21:20-21

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property
Leviticus 25:44-45

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
Numbers 31:17

But God will shatter the heads of his enemies
Psalms 68:21

Samar'ia shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open.
Hosea 13:16

Slay and utterly destroy after them, says the Lord, and do all that I have commanded you.
Jeremiah 50:21

And the Lord our God gave him over to us; and we defeated him and his sons and all his people. And we captured all his cities at that time and utterly destroyed every city, men, women and children; we left none remaining
Deuteronomy 2:33

Behold the day of the Lord comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger...Whoever is found will be thrust through and whoever is caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes, their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished.
Isaiah 13:9, 13:15

Therefore fathers shall eat their sons in the midst of you and sons shall eat their fathers...I will send famine and wild beasts against you and they shall rob you of your children; pestilence and blood shall pass through you; and I will bring a sword upon you. I, the Lord, have spoken.
Ezekiel 5:10, 5:17

I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs, I will tear open their breast, and there I will devour them like a lion, as a wild beast would rend them.
Hosea 13:8

And I will fill your mountains with the slain; on your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those slain with the sword shall fall...Then you shall know that I am the Lord.
Ezekiel 35:8

Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces
Malachi 2:3

Pass through the city after him, and smite; your eye shall not spare and you shall show no pity; slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women
Ezekiel 9:5

And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.
Jeremiah 13:14

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
1 Samuel 15:3

Behold the day of the Lord is coming, when the spoil taken from you will be divided in the midst of you. For I will gather the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city shall be taken and the houses plundered and the women ravished...
Zachariah 14:1

And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.
Luke 22:36

[Jesus speaking]
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
John 14:27

Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother- in-law
Matthew 10:34

Do you think I have to come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother- in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in- law
Luke 12:51

While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day...And the Lord said to Moses, 'The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.' And all the congregation brought him outside the camp, and stoned him to death with stones, as the Lord commanded Moses.
Numbers 15:32
Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 AM

Default Re: All loving God? (Bible quotes post)

Now provide a complete exposition on the intended audience and the social context of each of those quotes.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now provide a complete exposition on the intended audience and the social context of each of those quotes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the word of god, surely it is universal in application!?

If not so applicable, then you may as well throw out the whole book, since the social context has changed significantly in the last 2000 years, as has the audience.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And if you are successful at that, we're also going to need to see the quotes in their original language, along with translation notes.

And if they still don't sound very 'christian', then they're just allegorical, so lay off...

Also, "you have some problem with these rules?"
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If not so applicable, then you may as well throw out the whole book, since the social context has changed significantly in the last 2000 years, as has the audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your posts, Midge. I can only find it in my heart to sarcastically mock these responses. You seem to respond with actual rational argument. That won't work, of course, but I still like your posts.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:53 AM

There was a great moment in season 2 of the West Wing where Bartlet pwns this radio host with stuff like this. Let me see how fast I can YouTube search...

Ah, here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaVU...ed&search=
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 AM

damn hollywood values.

Edit: I'd like to thank this entire forum for using YouTube to point me to the most important and/or amusing mass media moments of the last decade, saving me countless hours of TV viewing. Allowing me to spout off here instead. And of course, you personally for pointing this one out...sweet.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bible says Jews are to do "A" and Christians are to do "B" then we have to throw the whole thing out? I don't get it.

If the Jews are being led in the wilderness for 40 years and are given what we today would consider an extraordinarily harsh set of laws to govern them during this time then we shouldn't assume that these laws are for everyone, nor should we assume that they are for all time, nor should we throw out the whole bible.

I think your insistence on universal applicability doesn't make sense. We should try to understand the applicability based on the context of the scripture in question. I'm not saying it's easy or always perfectly clear but a very reasonable approach.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bible says Jews are to do "A" and Christians are to do "B" then we have to throw the whole thing out? I don't get it.

If the Jews are being led in the wilderness for 40 years and are given what we today would consider an extraordinarily harsh set of laws to govern them during this time then we shouldn't assume that these laws are for everyone, nor should we assume that they are for all time, nor should we throw out the whole bible.

I think your insistence on universal applicability doesn't make sense. We should try to understand the applicability based on the context of the scripture in question. I'm not saying it's easy or always perfectly clear but a very reasonable approach.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno...we're talking 2,000 years here. Aren't we group "C"? The group the bible doesn't talk about?

Obviously, everyone is free to interpret the bible as he/she pleases, but I think the point was, that once we have decided that we need to pick and choose what laws now apply, it becomes nearly (read:entirely) impossible for one interpretation to win out over another. So yeah, I guess your approach isn't at all unreasonable, but at the same time, if someones interpretation differs from yours, it's hard for YOU to call it unreasonable.

Consider that the Koran is essentially an interpretation of the bible. We now consider it a separate religion, but it is essentially a set of prescriptions providing more detail on how to follow God's law.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You first.