Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Question Regarding Mama\'s and The Papa\'s (probably for older 2+2ers)

Being 22 I have never seen them peform live and since 3/4 are dead obviously never will. I just really want to know which voice belongs to which girl. There is a deeper female voice and a higher pitched one. I always assumed the higher one was Michelle Phillips because Cass was fat.

Then I started thinking that the higher pitch female vocal to me was the much more beautiful voice andreally the only reason why I listen to that group. But Phillips was never as popular as Elliot. Wouldn't Elliot need the better voice to be more popular? Which voice is which and if Phillips was the higher one why did Elliot have the better career? Anyone alive at this time chime in please.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Question Regarding Mama\'s and The Papa\'s (probably for older 2+2er

Mama Cass was the deeper one.

I think Mama Cass had a more prominent TV/media personality.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Question Regarding Mama\'s and The Papa\'s (probably for older 2+2ers)

Mama Cass had all the female leads. Phillips was basically a good looking no talent back up singer who married the groups leader. Cass Elliot was an extremely talented singer and one of my all-time favorite female vocalists.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Question Regarding Mama\'s and The Papa\'s (probably for older 2+2er

[ QUOTE ]
Phillips was basically a good looking no talent back up singer

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it's a bad thing [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Question Regarding Mama\'s and The Papa\'s (probably for older 2+2ers)

[ QUOTE ]
Mama Cass had all the female leads. Phillips was basically a good looking no talent back up singer who married the groups leader. Cass Elliot was an extremely talented singer and one of my all-time favorite female vocalists.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, lets use an example here...

In the song "Go Where You Wanna Go" there is a deeper female voice on the chorus which goes (go where you wanna go.... etc)

then a higher one which sings "3,000 miles, thats how far you'll go...etc)

Are you saying BOTH of these lines are sung by Elliot? If this is show she did have a lot of talent because this sounds sounds like 2 different voices...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Cass was the voice,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSbJgLJvwI

Michelle was the inspiration,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeovolhNSk
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phillips was basically a good looking no talent back up singer

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it's a bad thing [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This slights here too much. She was there singing with them before Cass joined. And her higher voice helped round out there sound nicely.

Cass was definitely by far the bigger star though. I think she even had her own show for a while, and did lots of solo guest appearances on shows like The Carol Burnett Show that were very well received.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And her higher voice helped round out there sound nicely

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't really mean it as a slight. She was a good backup singer and definitely helped with the overall sound and harmony. She was never gonna be a solo star however while Cass was. That said my point was Michelle was replacable and Cass wasn't.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Fair enough. And I hate it when I spell "their" as there.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, lets use an example here...

In the song "Go Where You Wanna Go" there is a deeper female voice on the chorus which goes (go where you wanna go.... etc)

then a higher one which sings "3,000 miles, thats how far you'll go...etc)

Are you saying BOTH of these lines are sung by Elliot? If this is show she did have a lot of talent because this sounds sounds like 2 different voices...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the deeper voice is Cass.