Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!
Default protecting my website ideas

I have a unique website idea. I will be hiring a website designer or a team of them to create it. I do not want the designer taking the idea and acting on it before me. Is there anyway I can prevent this?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: protecting my website ideas

probably not. You cannot protect an "idea". However, you could make them sign a non-disclosure agreement before you tell them what your idea was. If it was worded properly, that might prevent them from taking your idea and running with it, but you would need to to see a lawyer about this...
Old 12-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Almost everyone with a business idea thinks that someone is going to steal it. The fact is that the vast majority of people just don't have the fortitude to start a business. If I were you, I'd have them sign a non-disclosure. But that won't necessarily protect your idea. In fact, it most likely won't do a thing. There are just too many ways around it when you're talking about a website. IMO, just take the risk and tell the developer. If you've got a reputable guy with a good reputation, you probably don't need to worry too much about him. Not too many sole proprietors will give up a painstakingly built reputation for a gamble on a stolen idea.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Sometimes it is a good idea to talk to a few people about your concept because oftentimes our innovative ideas have been thought of by many others. Like spex said, the toughest part is actually mobilizing an idea into a product/service. And even when you are first, it doesn't guarantee you market share in the long run. Myspace was hardly the first social networking site, and the cluttered personal pages aren't very appealing, but they sold for a gazillion dollars. Go figure. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Once the site is built, kill him.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 AM

I would worry less about having your idea stolen until the site is up. If it is successful it will be ripped off over and over again like mine was.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

[ QUOTE ]
I would worry less about having your idea stolen until the site is up. If it is successful it will be ripped off over and over again like mine was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...anyway to prevent this? Patent the ideas? Can you do that? Curious, what was your website and do you think their is anything you could have done to protect yourself in hindsight?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:28 PM

You can't protect yourself against things like this. The trick is to just get in first and be better than the competition.

Do you think Google would care if you setup a search engine tomorrow?

Do you think Clickbank would care if you launched an affiliate site?

Do you think Amazon would care if you setup a book shop?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't protect yourself against things like this. The trick is to just get in first and be better than the competition.

Do you think Google would care if you setup a search engine tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if they're smart, they do care. That's why, if they're smart, they keep changing & improving. You can't let yourself get comfortable or stop improving your product/service or someone will catch you. For example, Yahoo got complacent and probably didn't care much about Google. Oops!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification on that. My point was that they wouldn't care *because* they are constantly improving, expanding and moving into new businesses - adwords, adsense, checkout etc etc.