Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM

Default Turn Spew?

Info on Villian... right at 100 hands, vpip 48.48 / pf 26.26...

20/40 3 handed... I'm SB villian is BB... folded to me

KQ suited clubs,

Hero raises, Villian 3 Bets, Hero Calls
Flop 3cKh10d
Hero checks, Villian Bets, Hero Calls (probably misplayed here, but I planned on popping a non scare turn)

Turn Jc
Hero checks, Villian Bets, Hero Raises, Villian 3 Bets, Hero Caps...?

I know the flop line was probably a mistake and might have saved me a bet had I CR the flop but is it ok to cap this turn?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Turn Spew?

100 hands with this guy 3 handed. What do you think he's 3-betting here?

was he 3-betting a lot pf?

I really hate not c/r'ing the flop. Will this guy fire 2 streets with air AND pay off a c/r? Sometimes they'll take their cheap SD. When I played 3-handed or HU a lot of the time fast play IS my slowplay. Maybe even bet/3bet the flo or turn here.

The thing about the turn cap is that it can ONLY be for value here. I don't think it's necessarily a spew because you have about infinity outs but I'd like to know more about this guy before i put in 4-bets on the turn. 50/26 really only tells me he calls a lot pf for 3-handed and should probably raise his button more, but that's it.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Whether to checkraise the flop or wait til the turn largely depends on how likely the villain will bet the turn if you just call the flop and what kind of hands he will call you down with if you take the turn check/raise line vs what hands he will call you down with if you check/raise the flop. It is impossible to say that your turn check/raise line is bad in a vacuum. I will say this much. If I dont know which line is better my default is to check/raise the flop, so I do think check/raising the flop is the best play with no read. There are a few reasons I think this is so.

1) If you check/raise the flop lesser hands are more likely to play back at you than if you check/raise the turn.

2) I also believe that you will get more thin call downs if you take this line.

3) By check/raising the flop you take control of the hand, and never allow your opponent to take a free card with a draw or a marginal showdown hand.

About your turn cap....If you go to dictionary.com, click on the thesaurus feature and type in the word terrible, those are all the words that come to my mind when I see you take this action.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About your turn cap....If you go to dictionary.com, click on the thesaurus feature and type in the word terrible, those are all the words that come to my mind when I see you take this action.

[/ QUOTE ]

ILovepoker, you saw that we have a flush draw and are open-ended, right?
Even if we are behind, half the deck will give us the best hand on the river.
I really cannot see how the cap on the turn can be terrible. You don't think he could push a worse K here?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ILovepoker, you saw that we have a flush draw and are open-ended, right?
Even if we are behind, half the deck will give us the best hand on the river.
I really cannot see how the cap on the turn can be terrible. You don't think he could push a worse K here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed at ILP's comment, and I agree with it too fwiw.

So, what worse Ks is villain supposed to have? Is he 3betting K9-K5 frequently PF? I'd say mybe K9s/K8s but that's probably about it unless he's in 3bet mode.

I plugged some #s into stove and it looks like hero has about 35-39% equity vs a turn 3bet - when a turn 3bet means AA/KK/JJ/TT/KJ/KT/KQ/33/AQ/K9s, adding all clean combos of KQ and K9s bring it up a bit, taking away some of the less-likely stuff makes it a bit lower. As such I don't like the turn 3bet b/c i think alot of those hnads (spcifically K9, KQ, AK) don't play that way 100%.

Surf
Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Just call the 3-bet. If you don't hit the flush or straight, check.