Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Berated for my lack of handreading skills.

SB is probably one of you guys - 27/19 - notes say that he makes bad bluffraises and that he tends to play loose and sloppy in lots of situations.

Other guy is unknown. Seems bad so far. Coldcalling and limping PF.

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (13SB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (12.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (21.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 27.5BB

So did I spew? The flop seems obvious, the turn seemed standard since I'm ahead of SB's AQ, tied with his AK, and I just pulled ahead of button's 2pair.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Berated for my lack of handreading skills.

Preflop is standard.

Flop is not obvious, but I like the cap in this huge pot.

Button is representing a set or AK when he raises the turn, we seem to have a likely drawing dead SB along for the ride, but I still don't like the 3-bet. We get capped an awful lot by 77 and 66 here.

Given Button's turn call, you have an easy bet/call on the river.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:02 PM

I am guessing that SB had the same hand as you and was pissed to see you betting and raising with button when he felt that button held a set. If he was the one berating you, tell him to fold his damn hand if he's so sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do think you went a bit nuts on this one. For you to be ahead in the hand, everyone has to have an ace. This is not very likely, yet both players are showing a ton of strength. I think it's time to give button credit for a set on the turn and just call down and pray for the bizarre scenarios where SB has AQ and button has A7.

Look at it this way... your holding is terribly obvious to SB, since he seems to hold an ace as well (leaving you with only one AA combo). SB realizes that 77/66 are much more likely holdings for button than the case ace with a 2 pair (twice as many combos I believe?).

Then there's the other possibility... SB raised with 77 (donkish play with a caller imo) and is worried about you holding AA. So yes... you spewed all over the place and displayed poor hand-reading skills... sorry man.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is standard.

Button is representing a set or AK when he raises the turn, we seem to have a likely drawing dead SB along for the ride, but I still don't like the 3-bet. We get capped an awful lot by 77 and 66 here.

Given Button's turn call, you have an easy bet/call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that, given the preflop and flop action, 66 and 77 would be pretty wary of AA and KK. But I agree about the 3-bet being a bit much.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Preflop is fine. HU with position, sometimes I will not cap this, but mostly I will. With the bad player in there, I think it's pretty standard to cap it. The flop is interesting. A cap is fine, but I think a pretty equal alternate is to wait for the turn and pop it. Not sure which is better, honestly.

However, as played, when the button raises you on the turn, I think it's time to put on the brakes. You may miss out on some value against SB's AQ, but I'm worried about button enough now to slow down. He's loose and passive preflop, and when those guys go nuts postflop (against a huge show of strength), it can't be good. I would feel like my cards are face up (or at least AK should be my worst holding) after the strength you've shown, too.

Since he did call the turn 3-bet, though, I would have played the river the same way.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM

you put in one too many on the turn, but if he cant beat 66 his river call is worse.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:34 PM

SB has to have AK here, so he's not padding anything... you are basically trying to win bets HU against Button who could have A7 A6 77 or 66. the 3-bet is too far.