Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Am I playing a marginal hand too passively?

Am I staying in too long, or not raising when I should? This is a good preflop holding but the action riled me. I had no read on BB, but the other fellow's stats are 24% voluntary pot, 3.2% raised preflop, agg. 1.0, so he's not the most "gutsy" of players, hence my getting scared off.

Comments on all streets very much welcome.

Prima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.05/$0.1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, 6 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.4SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8.7BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 16.7BB
Old 11-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Am I playing a marginal hand too passively?

Fold preflop unless the guy is unusually aggressive. Given that you didn't, fold the flop. You have 3 outs here at best.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM

It later transpired that BB was a total and utter maniac but of course I didn't know that at the time, so, yes, I should have folded.

As played, how would you play the turn?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It later transpired that BB was a total and utter maniac but of course I didn't know that at the time, so, yes, I should have folded.

As played, how would you play the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a moot point because you shouldn't be there. Call down WA/WB from there if you like though and hope UTG has KK or JJ. As played it looks like he has QQ or an unlikely 99.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:54 PM

OK, sounds good - I'll focus on the "not being there" part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And QQ's what I figured as well.

I'm still learning marginal hands, I figured the pot was big enough to continue postflop (I think I overestimated my outs).

Just wondering - why fold preflop? I'd called the raise as per SSHE hand table instructions and figured it was worth calling the other raise based on what I'd already invested... is this a very stupid thing?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 PM

If this guy raises 3.2% of the time preflop and is raising from UTG, AJs probably has you drawing to 3 outs from the start. I'd fold preflop.

As played, I'd just call the turn. There is much from a 3bet range that you're ahead of now, so I'd go WA/WB. River is a good fold.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, sounds good - I'll focus on the "not being there" part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And QQ's what I figured as well.

I'm still learning marginal hands, I figured the pot was big enough to continue postflop (I think I overestimated my outs).

Just wondering - why fold preflop? I'd called the raise as per SSHE hand table instructions and figured it was worth calling the other raise based on what I'd already invested... is this a very stupid thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE recommends cold calling AJs in that position against an unknown? Anyway, he is known to be a tight raiser so you can fold preflop knowing you are likely dominated and drawing to 3 outs at best.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Unless this is a very strong read on villain, I'm not folding this hand preflop. I'd need to know the # of hands that constitute this statistical read to consider folding it.

Without a strong read, I'm 3-betting.

The flop peel is a little thin as your J outs are basically worthless, and your A outs are tainted, leaving you with just a weak BDSD and the nut BDFD.

Given the flop peel, I think the turn call and river fold are both correct.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless this is a very strong read on villain, I'm not folding this hand preflop. I'd need to know the # of hands that constitute this statistical read to consider folding it.

Without a strong read, I'm 3-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your getting pwned by his range if the stats are meaningfull at all. I'm folding this against all but lags and then i'm 3-betting. Cold calling is bad here IMO.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM

The statistical sample is low on villain, just 93 hands.

Absolution, I use the Tight Game chart in SSHE. Early position, Against A Raise, AJs is there.