Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 02:36 AM

Default Holdem or foldem? An overcards/top pair question

Do you guys holdem or foldem on flop here? What about on turn? Any thoughts on my line here welcome, thanks!

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 11-25-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Holdem or foldem? An overcards/top pair question

Silly fold. Don't be silly.

Edit: And just wait...the 3B preflop with 3rd tier hands when OOP folks will be posting soon.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:46 AM

Sounds like a tv commercial.

I'd usually 3-bet preflop, and my flop decision would depend a large part on that. Here, if you see that turn the way you did, I'm having trouble folding my hand.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 AM

I'd just toss it. The pot isn't that big so you have a pretty marginal call in the best case and here you're subject to reverse domination by BT or domination by UTG to be concerned about as well as UTG pulling some kind of retardo slowplay with JJ or whatever.

Edit: hmmm...it's 4 handed. That makes the flop a little closer and it makes pf an obvious 3-bet. Reads would also help here. I probably still toss it though. Just seems like we're going to be getting into trouble by peeling and it's not like we're going to get paid off in buckets if we hit.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 AM

Strange hand. You did not butcher it or anything, but I think better lines are out there.

I would fold the flop because you are not closing the action. UTG will be c/r more than you like. You also should be concerned that his flop check points to a whiffed but dominating AK or AQ. It's not a terrible call, though, with your bd flush and straight potential.

As played, I bet the turn. You will see it get checked around too often, and you need to protect your hand from draws, pocket pairs, jacks, and ace high. Without any reads, folding is probably the best option as played.

-Andrew