Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 02:02 AM

Default Just checking

Hi.

I think I can maybe start playing poker again.

So, I played a little tonight. I'm very rusty. I feel like I've been playing decently, though. I've been playing a lot of hands in late position for raises, playing raise-or-fold in early position, and mixing things up a little in mid position.

I wasn't quite sure what to do on any street here. With 0-1 limpers, I raise this almost all of the time. With two limpers, I raise sometimes, call sometimes and fold never, leaning more towards call than raise. Sound OK?

I haven't seen a lot of check-raising from these guys, but I don't have a super-strong hand, and I don't really know what to do other than give up if I bet the flop and get called, so I check behind. I think I bet this around 60% of the time and check behind around 40% of the time. Sound OK?

On the turn, I figure I'm up against an unpaired ace or a made flush a lot of the time. I was tempted to bet anyway, but it didn't really feel like a big ace, so I thought check-call mode was probably a good idea. I think that's OK, but I'm really not sure. I don't really have a monster since it's multiway and I let the flop get checked through, and I don't want to open things up for a reraise.

On the river, I think I really messed up. I think that I should be betting a lot more, because the hands he'll call with, he'll probably call a lot more. Sound right? Do you think he ever raises me here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $57.45
CO: $99.95
Hero: $118.45
SB: $64.10
BB: $60.20

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.25, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5.25, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2.5</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Just checking

i like to bet the flop. probably more like 90/10. betting a lot and evaluating the turn. I think we take it down a lot right here.

but given the way you played it: I like raising the turn. and raising/betting bigger on the river. I hope he pushes but he will probably just call.

IMO... you played this a little timidly but not bad. certainly understandable why you took the line you did and at least your still thinking about the game.

welcome back.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:10 AM

welcome back sir.

Most p2p'ers will advocate raising PF to 1)protect your button, and 2)build a pot.

Flop...I think I'm betting here. 2nd pair/TK is probably the best hand right now with 3 checks in front of us.

Turn is very very conservative/passive. If we raise, we *may* fold out all the hands we beat anyhow, but, by not betting or raising anywhere we're clueless as to whether or not we have the best hand. Also, by simply calling we're letting a naked club draw fer cheap, and we lose some value by not making them pay a proper price.

You hit it on the head on the river. If he has the flush, he'll probably call a BIG raise, and if he has a pair/2 pair, he's probably not calling any kind of raise. I don't blame you for raising small however, I want to get paid also [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2006, 03:14 AM

PF whatever. hopefully you have a good reason to limp here. Good reasons are generally short stacked players in the blinds or have limped, and are very callingstationish (those who will not fold, 0 FE, etc).

I would typically raise this turn. Knocks a few players out, protects from some clubs, gains value from stuff like K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], etc.

I think river is fine. I sometimes overbet shove the river, mainly because players will never fold flushes in this spot. Just depends I guess.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 PM

poin,

Welcome back. Its good to have you back.

I think you need to bet a little more on that river. You will get called a lot. A nice solid overbet really works here.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 PM

all,

thank you for the welcome back. it really means a lot.

thank you also for the poker advice. i'm learning again.

in particular, orange's comment sticks with me. i often say "i'll do this some percentage of the time, and that some other percentage of the time." in some situations, it makes sense to really randomize my actions. this (pre-flop) is one where it makes a lot more sense to base them off of table conditions, and they'll just work out to the appropriate percentages. in this case, it seemed like 0 FE to me.

on the turn, i guess i'm not giving enough credit to the idea that people could be betting with draws and weaker hands here.

the river, i think it's clear that i should've bet a lot more. he had 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and just called [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 AM

i like limp on button, but when its checked to me, I bet this flop (we stand to be ahead, and if it bad card hits the turn, this probably buys us a free redraw on the river)

As played. i think ya did good. I agree with the sometimes shoving this river if you believe he has a flush, depending on his skill level and attachment to hands.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 AM

welcome back sir,

this is a great spot for an over bet. He's representing a hand 2pair+ here. if he doens't have a smaller full house, or a flush he isn't calling a raise anyway. Might as well go for the gold.

I'd probably do 12-20 here. Depending on my read. I could hear arguments for a push, but i think 15 is about right. If he's got a good hand he'll call.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:50 AM

oh, p.s. i think limping here is often best. I like the way you played the hand, just some fine tuning on the river.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:51 AM

Preflop: Raaaaawrr! I am the button, fear me, you lily-livered limpers! Calling is OK, but depends on the table and your mood.

Flop: Raaaawrr! They are still scared! A check just lets you and your opponents see another card. I don't really want that. Thin the herd!

Turn: OK, now that four of you sissies have declined to bet, I have no freaking clue what the BB's weak lead means. And the CO just called. Hmm. You have two pair, so it's likely that you're in the lead. Either that or you're drawing to four outs, how fun. So ... raaaawwr! Raise it. If you are in the lead, don't let them get a free shot at another club, which is just going to make you ill.

River: Congrats, barring AA, you've got the nuts. I think I'd raise more. As Orange said, many people won't fold a flush here.

Basically, I'd be more aggressive on the early streets, where it's relatively cheap. If you bet the flop and get check-raised, it's no big deal and not all that hard to dump second pair.

I find it easier to be aggressive from position since it puts pressure on my opponents and it makes my decisions much easier. Yeah, there's always that urge to just call, but you must fight it.