Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Default $10/180: Holy Misplay Batman!

Please discuss/criticise all streets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t940)
UTG (t295)
UTG+1 (t2860)
MP1 (t2125)
MP2 (t1355)
MP3 (t2865)
CO (t4610)
Button (t1425)
Hero (t1715)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t60, Button calls t60, Hero calls t45, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t300) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t210</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t595</font>, CO folds, Hero calls t595.

Turn: (t2400) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2400
Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: $10/180: Holy Misplay Batman!

I may put in a big re-raise PF. I don't want 4 other players in this flop. I'd lead flop for 300 and get all my chips in there if possible.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:22 PM

preflop clear reraise i think. puts u in so much trouble on a Q-high flop OOP with this many players if u flat call. on the 10/180s i think you prob have to go bust on the flop here, best way to do it is prob check/raise hopefully some sort of draws will get it in with you
Old 11-20-2006, 04:54 AM

Why do you recommend a reraise here PF? We're out of position with little information even if he calls, I like the smoothcall OOP here. AK I'd definitely reraise here but I feel like a smoothcall disguises our strength when we hit and doesn't commit us to a pot that we'll often miss.

So if we raise to 360 and only EP minraiser calls, pot becomes ~1000 and we have ~1350 left. I really would rather avoid this situation OOP with AQ.

However, the better the minraiser is, the more I like our chances. A good player isn't going to minraise a monster at this blind level, nor will he smoothcall a reraise with any of the hands we hate to see. I don't see him smoothcalling QQ+AK with donks left to act behind unless he's bad.

Unless we have a read that the minraiser is a thinking player I smoothcall, but generally I assume anyone minraising is a donkey and just smoothcall here.

I don't mind putting myself in "difficult" situations here either, as I'm confident in my ability to either control potsize or throw away TPTK if it seems obvious someone hit a set or twopair.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:17 AM

I like the smooth call because unless hero wants to invest around 25% of his stack preflop, he's not going to get the guys behind him to fold.

Then, if the flop completely misses, he's dumped a good amount of chips preflop that failed to accomplish anything except sweeten the pot for the eventual winner.

The flop check-raise is pretty bad. Basically, every hand that is less than top pair fold and every other hand calls. You're committing a lot of chips on a draw-heavy flop in a multi-way pot with top pair. Best to lead out with a 2/3 or pot sized bet.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM

that flop checkraise is really bad
Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 AM

I like the reraise preflop too (to about 350). We have all the info we need. We have a miniraise from middle position that's been called by three players in a 10/180. I'd say this is a pretty good indication we have a pretty good hand and we dont want to play a multiway pot OOP if possible. If MP2 is trapping with Aces, you'll find out right then and there.

On the flop I'd lead right out for half the pot and see what happens behind you. No way I'm letting this flop be checked around.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that flop checkraise is really bad

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the flop checkraise is really bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear when I made this post. It was a pretty obvious misplay and as soon as he hand ended I was getting ready to post it.

I think preflop could go either way. A case can be made for the gigantic rr, but I hate this at the lower limits because it is wayyy to often that donks min-raise QQ-AA. For example, min-raiser in this hand had QQ (lol).

Anyways, I really have no idea what I was thinking on the flop. As soon as the hand ended I was pissed I didn't lead/fold.

If anyone else would like to comment on my expert c/r, please continue to yell at me, my play sucked.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM

PF -- Fine, I do this often and OOP I actually prefer a call since we are so shortstacked and it makes for an awkward stack post flop

Flop -- Please bet, lead out for 200 or so, c/r here is bad because there are so many draws that will pay to see another card. We also get raised by KQ often enough to make it profitable.

Turn &amp; River -- Don't post, doesn't mean anything regarding the decisions that were made
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM

AceLuby - what's your reasoning for leading out with a donkbet - just that it's a wet board? Might it not be better to check-call the flop with the hopes of a big turn raise to any non-diamond or non-king?