Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I hate dids because
He insulted me once and is generally caustic and abusive to people who are not down with his team 18 40.00%
I find his posts non-awesome 25 55.56%
He MOD RAMPAGED~! at me and I'm bitter 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Do you agree with the following statement?

Do you agree with the following statement?

Quote:
...to pronounce the Bible false one must believe a MASSIVE amount of 'cooperation' over centuries took place. An amount FAR IN EXCESS of any other fudging of data known to man.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Do you agree with the following statement?

The tower falls if the cement mix is substandard and you use warped wood.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:46 PM

the wording of your quote is horrible. Many people believe that both the bible is false and that there is a creator who made a master plan
Old 11-17-2006, 03:49 PM

A massive cooperations towards what? That's the question. Sure there's been massive cooperation. But that's because the bible has been a great way for rulers to gain control of people and get them to do and act as they wanted them to.

A massive cooperation for no other reason than to perpetuate a fairy tale? No, I don't agree with that. If there were no other reason than this, to keep the bible going then I think you have a point. Unfortunately, you miss all the other bona-fide reasons people had to perpetuate the myth.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM

WTF does "Pronounce the Bible false" mena?

Do you mean that by this that there is a flase statment somewhere in the bible, or do you mena that every statment in the Bible is false? Or what exactly?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM

Yeah. The question is kind of odd. Not sure what he means by 'cooperation' or what he thinks the implications are.

Does it require a lot of people believing and reteaching an untruth? Sure.

Is this rare? Not really.

How long did people think and teach that the earth was flat? How many people perpetuate beliefs in UFOs, Ghosts, ESP, etc? The number of believers has no bearing on whether or not something is real.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Sad.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you agree with the following statement?

[ QUOTE ]
...to pronounce the Bible false one must believe a MASSIVE amount of 'cooperation' over centuries took place. An amount FAR IN EXCESS of any other fudging of data known to man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your survey needs another option: Your statement is too bizarre to be classified.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An amount FAR IN EXCESS of any other fudging of data known to man.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key to my answer (which was "no", FWIW). It would be helpful if you stopped thinking of the Bible as somehow unique to all other literature in history (other than it's supposed authorship).

There's nothing unique about a bunch of people being wrong about something and writing down their thoughts anyway.

Have you ever considered what would be required to pull off that B.S. story most Mormons believe?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:14 PM

I voted no...

do you mean false on even just ONE account or detail? (I believe you would mean..'completely false' as in..it was all simply made up...correct?)

you should define what you mean by 'cooperation'

a conspiracy of sorts? with hundreds or thousands or even more (I'm thinking of witnesses to supposed miracles and such) people consciously contributing to deception?...(I believe that there are other more reasonable ways to explain what happened in these cases, than that so many people knowingly contributed to the lies.

huge amounts of people with conscious intents to decieve people is not needed for the development and to a greater extent advancement of a religion...

if it IS needed, then the development and advencement of other religions would seem to mean that it is indeed possible...unless of course we've determined the development and advancement of christianity would require a far greater amount of conscious intent to decieve people (or whatever you define as 'cooperation') than other religions...it seems that you would hold this to be true..

why is that? (I probably don't know as much about the early development of christianity and other religions to make a fair assesment..so that is a genuine question)

it COULD also be developed with NO people with a concious intent to decieve people if the people at the very beginning actually believed what they created in their minds..this, however, I would say is very unlikely...I don't know nearly enough about the early development of religions such as Mormonism, Islam, and Christianity to make a confident assesment, but I would guess that at some of the earliest points in the developments of these religions, there was a conscious intent to decieve people.