Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Was I way out of line?

Small weekly tournament with friends and we are down to 3 players, I was in the small blind( Seat #2) and accidently checked out of turn. the 1st player reminded me that it was his bet and proceeded to check...I then made the minimum bet of 400. (the blinds at the time were 200/400).Was I way out of line by not checking when I had indicated a check? What is the rule on checking out of turn? My checking out of turn was not intentional but some of the other players were upset. In retrospect I think I should have checked where I had indicated check but how far out of line was I???
Old 11-18-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Was I way out of line?

With friends, this seems like an easy check to me. Some house rules would force you to check while others would allow you to act.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 AM

If you intentionally (which you didn't) indicate a certain action out of turn to induce a certain reaction, then that is clearly unethical and close to cheating. The usual official rule is that any action you take out of turn is non-binding. If you were forced to take said action that is clearly abusable by anyone acting in front of you.
If it is a casual game among friends you might consider checking for the sake of not causing an argument. Although I think they have no reason to be angry because they really have no right to count on your check. So if it it weren't friends I was playing with I'd say screw them. In your case you might wonder if it is worth insisting on playing by the rules.
I also recommend on agreeing on a house rule whenever a situation like this occurs to avoid future incidents.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:17 AM

with freinds its ok man, u guys are all cool with each other
Old 11-19-2006, 01:03 PM

I'm confused here. Did you think the other guy had checked when you initially acted out of turn? If so, what caused you to change your mind and do a min bet?

I can see why some might think that the out of turn check was intentional given that you changed your action when presented with the same decision 5 seconds later.

Of course, your opponent should have just let the out of turn check stand.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM

This makes no sense to me. SB can't check preflop, and there's no possible way you can check out of turn postflop since you act first and if you act again on the same street you don't have the option to check.

I'm probably just nitpicking a typo or missing something obvious though.