Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Default wtf happened to Gomi

Just watched the latest Pride event today, and I was very disappointed with Gomi's performance against Diaz. I mean it almost looks like he threw the fight. After he gets tagged a few times he drops his arms like he's showboating, except he continues to get hit by Diaz's jabs and keep trying to end the fight with one big counter punch. His first overhand right almost knocked Diaz out and opens up a deep gash on his cheek, and it seems like from that point on he was just waiting for the ref to stop the fight because of the cut (he motions to the ref in the second round that the fight should be stopped because of the cut). Maybe Gomi just broke mentally, but he essentially gave up in the first round and it was pathetic to see him go out like that. Diaz is a good stand-up fighter but he does not have the power to knock people out- if Gomi fought more intelligently I don't think he should have had any trouble with Diaz while they were on their feet. Gomi underestimated what Diaz was capable of, and maybe the American crowd also got to him. So many upsets in this event, it was quite amazing...

funniest quote of the night- "Africa dropped a bomb!"
Old 02-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: wtf happened to Gomi

yeah that fight was really strange.

good to see sakurai pwning again though. trigg also looked way too strong for misaki.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just watched the latest Pride event today, and I was very disappointed with Gomi's performance against Diaz. I mean it almost looks like he threw the fight. After he gets tagged a few times he drops his arms like he's showboating, except he continues to get hit by Diaz's jabs and keep trying to end the fight with one big counter punch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looked to me that he was just gassed.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 AM

I was shocked to see him so out on his feet like that.

I think it was jet lag + not training hard enough for the fight + gassing + Diaz hitting harder than he expecting + Diaz having 5 inches and probably a good sized reach advantage + Diaz being super hungry. I think they both fought a hell of a fight, but I think Diaz had a great opportunity to KO Domi at the end of the first and wasted it.