Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Judicial Court Tomorrow at 8:30am (ugh)

So anyway long story short I'm in a dry dorm, even though I'm 21 before next semester, which sucks, but I've racked up a few drinking tickets. The rule is if you break 3 rules you can get kicked off campus. Well I got 2 legitimate drinking tickets, just being too loud, but now there's a lot of BS. So I'm at (2)

For those first two I was supposed to go to some Alcohol and Other drugs meeting, which I forgot about, and I think they count that as breaking a rule too(4). Then I got busted cause I passed out in the study lounge and a cop found me. I admitted to drinking(5), but I guess I didn't get up right away so I didn't comply with a university official (6) and I gave my wrong birthday so they said I provided false information(7).

So basically am I totally [censored] here? That's 7 offenses. What can I argue? I'm thinking just beg for mercy, plead innocent to the false information and not complying with the cop, and say I'll make up the meetings. What do you guys think? Any advice?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Judicial Court Tomorrow at 8:30am (ugh)

Argue that your family has just given you an intervention because they believe that you are an alcoholic. You have started to clean up your act ... and you are serious about it because you don't want to drink your life away like your uncle did (who drank himself to death in his 30's).

Close your argument by stating that all of the infractions stemmed from your problems with alcohol and that it all of them are just a part of the first infraction.

Also, map out your strategy for "quitting the booze."

They will have to be total dicks to kick you out after that.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:28 PM

A buddy of mine got into a lot of trouble the way you did with judicial affairs. Got me into a bunch too, but I learned to run or stay away when I thought RAs would be coming.
Anyways, he had something like eight offenses, which included two drinking tickets, missing a few meeting with judicial affairs, throwing water balloons off the balcony, caught after hours in the girls dorm, caught after hours at the pool, and a few others and ended up having to hire a lawyer and pay him a little over a grand to stay in school.
Lawyer said judicial affairs court, at least here, is the hardest place to work because the students have exactly zero rights.

Anyways, my advice to you if you want to stay in school is to meet with them...then hire a good lawyer, worked for my friend, until he failed out the next semester.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM

This reminds me of a slightly humerous story from when I was a freshman...

A buddy of mine got caught by his RA smoking weed in his dorm room early in his first semester on campus. Nervous, he went to the law school library to find out what his best strategy was for getting out of this charge. He found some students in the law school library and he told them what happened and asked if they knew what he should do.

The law students told him that he should go to the Judicial Administrator and tell them what happened and ask them what his best course of action would be.

So he goes to the Judicial Administrators office and he tells the person behind the desk that he was smoking weed in his dorm room and that his RA caught him and he asked if he should just admit to the charge or if he had any rights to not self-incriminate and if he should just plead the fifth.

The Judicial Administrator listened to his story and asked for his name... at this point my friend realizes Judicial Administrator = JA = bad so he turns around mid conversation and sprints out of his building.

Luckily for him his RA never reported the incident and when he got JAed again later in the semester for drinking in his dorm the people at the office did not recognize who he was.

As for the OP, I think your best bet is to see a counselor at your school or go to an AA meeting before you meet with the JA. That way you can say that you admit that you have a problem and are taking steps to improve yourself
Old 11-15-2006, 03:06 AM

Who's to say how out of line you were with the cop? I mean you were drunk, maybe you didn't realize you gave him the wrong birthday and you were too ill to get up.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 PM

The fact that you blew off "some meeting" suggests to me that this whole situation doesn't have you very concerned. I tend to agree with your lack of interest.

Some people are set up in life in such a way that they don't have to try very hard to get by. My guess is that you'll be okay no matter what. When you finish school, you can probably coast into an okay job and never worry about your next meal.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you blew off "some meeting" suggests to me that this whole situation doesn't have you very concerned. I tend to agree with your lack of interest.

Some people are set up in life in such a way that they don't have to try very hard to get by. My guess is that you'll be okay no matter what. When you finish school, you can probably coast into an okay job and never worry about your next meal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, come on man, I was extremely concerned. I have a problem with the fact that missing a meeting is as major of an offense as breaking a window. Wow man judge too quickly much? Yeah I drink but I get my [censored] done, I coast through nothing.

If anyone cares, I got off awesomely. The "court" was more of a meeting with 5 people, 3 of whom were students, so they understood where I was coming from. I'm on probation till May of next year and was supposed to get a $300 drinking ticket, but thank God the president waived the fine. Also they recommended I try to live in a wet dorm next semester when I turn 21. Thanks for the advice, it helped.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also they recommended I try to live in a wet dorm next semester when I turn 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wow
Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out. Didn't mean to be all hardcore and judge you. Personally I would have made the meeting. I was right about the slap on the wrist, though.