Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: GENITALS BRACKET 1v14
Richard Head 12 35.29%
Mike Hunt 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Opinions on education

A ten year old child who demonstrates competence at eighth grade or higher level reading, writing and math skills should no longer be required to attend school.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Opinions on education

I didn't vote because I'm not sure what you are getting at. Public schools would be well-served if they could expel some kids instead of being forced to educate every child. It's those kids on the fringe that really don't want to be in school that make educating the rest of the kids difficult.

I guess now that I've thought about it more, 8th-grade kids should be required to stay in school. Most kids at that age are not capable of making intelligent decisions about their life. Therefore, forcing them to stay in school and off the streets is probably a good thing.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Agree, he doesn't need to go to school.

Disagree, he isn't completely educated.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, forcing them to stay in school and off the streets is probably a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone jump to the conclusion that kids in the absence of school are going to become gang members? You'll notice that kids usually spend their summer vacations working a summer job for spare cash and having fun.

Moreover, most jobs in society require about an eighth grade level of education, if that.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree, he doesn't need to go to school.

Disagree, he isn't completely educated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Pity I can't edit it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM

I just want more info. Are we talking about the world today and if somehow the law was changed to allow that, but everything else remains as it is?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Therefore, forcing them to stay in school and off the streets is probably a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone jump to the conclusion that kids in the absence of school are going to become gang members? You'll notice that kids usually spend their summer vacations working a summer job for spare cash and having fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how is that experience going to help them when they are 25? 35? 45? 55? As for my "off the streets" comment, I didn't mean that the kids would all join gangs. I meant that they would probably do things that are fun instead of studying and preparing for the future.

[ QUOTE ]

Moreover, most jobs in society require about an eighth grade level of education, if that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true ... and if a kid drops out in 8th grade, that is the only type of job they are ever going to get.

I have a B.S. in Computer Engineering. That degree has allowed me to get a good job. Even though I didn't like it at the time, I'm glad my parents made me study during 8th grade, 9th grade, and so on. By the time I got to college, I had developed my own self-discipline which allowed me to get my degree.

There are a few kids that could drop out in 8th grade and still be successful in life, but most will be better served continuing their education.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean that the kids would all join gangs. I meant that they would probably do things that are fun instead of studying and preparing for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I didn't like it at the time, I'm glad my parents made me study during 8th grade, 9th grade, and so on. By the time I got to college, I had developed my own self-discipline which allowed me to get my degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm glad my parents subjected me to a system which tortures children, works against their natural learning tendencies, and is in general ineffective in accomplishing anything, much less its stated goals, then made me stick with that system for years and years to learn what I could have learned in a few days otherwise."

Yeah. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have a B.S. in Computer Engineering. That degree has allowed me to get a good job. Even though I didn't like it at the time, I'm glad my parents made me study during 8th grade, 9th grade, and so on. By the time I got to college, I had developed my own self-discipline which allowed me to get my degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you adovcate economic policies that facilitate more people going to college? If so, you're confusing economic goals with personal goals. As it stands, only 20-30% of college grads actually get a job in a field that relates to their major. The rest are left with four years of lost productivity and an assload of debt. No, most people are not better off continuing their education.

Now, I agree that all things being equal, a college grad has a better shot of landing a job than a high school grad, even many jobs that aren't pertinent to their field of study. The reason should be obvious: college education correlates with intelligence and productivity, and therefore is a reliable indicator. But does it cause those things, or just reflect them? If it reflects them, then sending more kids to college is just going to undervalue all college educations. We see that today, where it's getting hard for a recent college grad to land a job. Everyone has an undergraduate degree. It's not very impressive.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"I'm glad my parents subjected me to a system which tortures children, works against their natural learning tendencies, and is in general ineffective in accomplishing anything, much less its stated goals, then made me stick with that system for years and years to learn what I could have learned in a few days otherwise."

Yeah. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is, our society is simultaneously overeducated and underintelligent.