Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 AM

Default CardPlayer article about WTO

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet, so forgive me if someone beat me to it.

Article.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 AM

Default Re: CardPlayer article about WTO

good article thx
Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 AM

thanks for posting man hopefully the WTO will help us get rid of this new legilation
Old 11-03-2006, 01:48 PM

Ok, so, the WTO will rule in favor of Antigua and Barbuda early next year. It is my understanding(I could be wrong) that when the WTO rules in favor of the two countries they will be the only Countries that can impose some kind of penalty. They were the only two Countries that actually filed the complaint. So, do you'all really think that the US is scared/worried of those two small countries??? If they add a value tax on imports from the US the US can just say fine, we won't ship anything to you anymore. It won't make a dent in our economy but would cripple theirs. This ruling will have little if any affect on the US. Now, if all the countries were to file a complaint then the US will be in dire straits.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Antigua and Barbuda is ONE country, not two.

This doesn't chage your point, but it would aid your credibility in arguments.

Antigua can NOT raise tariffs on goods imported from the US. That is insane to expect.

Also, do NOT expect the Brits to jump on the bandwagon here. They have their own agenda and issues and are fleeing the US market. The recent "meeting" in London this week was a complete disaster. The result were press reports slamming online gaming as money-laundering.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Antigua and Barbuda is ONE country, not two.

Of course your right--Need to drink coffee first. I think Antigua CAN raise tariffs on imports from the US but like I said it would hurt them a lot more than the US. I really don't think any other country will file a complaint so it will be business as usual after the ruling. There are few countries out there, if any, that can afford to take on the US regarding WTO violations.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Actually, what they are thinking about is ignoring US copyrights and patents. Thus, they might sell new release movies, dvds etc. over the Internet. That sanction might lead to real compliance by feds.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:17 PM

My understanding of what is likely to happen when the WTO finds against the US is somewhat different. When this happens the WTO is likely to grant Antigua the legal right to ignore copyrights held by US companies. Whether these are Software, music or other types of copyrights, it will greatly upset many large companies, who should then be suddenly fighting this battle with us.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 PM

that would be awesome
Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding of what is likely to happen when the WTO finds against the US is somewhat different. When this happens the WTO is likely to grant Antigua the legal right to ignore copyrights held by US companies. Whether these are Software, music or other types of copyrights, it will greatly upset many large companies, who should then be suddenly fighting this battle with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember though, the issue with all these is then getting the word out that these Disney, Miramax, etc. products ARE in Antigua and available to the US. The US won't let Antigua run commercials, so it'll be word of mouth, unless I'm mistaken.

It will not only be in the form of the physical product (aka the DVD or a Goofy doll) but most likely massive server farms for bitTorrents.

Any thoughts on if i'm wrong here? I'd like to see the WTO setting these servers up for Antigua too. I'd gladly click every single advertisement on their site each time i searched for a movie/song off their server.