Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Ok I\'m getting flamed for this post but I have to know

I'm considering bartending at a gay bar because it's really good money. When I say good money, I worked this summer at a strip club (with naked girls, that's right I'm 100% straight okay maybe only 99% after contemplating this) DJing I made $6,600 a month. I could probably make twice that bartending at a gay bar.

Ok so my background what is driving me to even thinking about this? I'm 28 years old have 3 hours of college credit at a community college for my further education. I have 5 misdemeanors on my criminal record which keep me from getting alot of jobs I'd like to work at. Because of my criminal background the only apartment that would take me is a luxury apartment complex which is pretty high I spend $750 a month on a small one bedroom (I know New Yorkers are waiting to rip into me for b!tching about this). So my bills are somewhat high. I need to make at least $2,000 a month and $2,500 would be a lot better.

I don't have alot of service or trade skills. I'm not good with computers, not good with handyman type work. I couldn't go work as a plumber, mechanic, Heating and Air Conditioning guy, etc. I do have experience as a server, even 5 star restaurant experience. However working at restaurants is very political and unless you are the managers favorite big money can ellude you.

I could try and get back into DJing at strip clubs but the business is cuthroat and they fire you with no reason just for the hell of it. It's a huge good 'ol boys network, you can make $15,000 in 3 months and be out of work for the next 4 months. I could get a job at Chili's or Friday's whatever and try and be a server work my way up to bartender there but that takes a year or more, meanwhile I'm stuck with a $1500/month income. That might of been okay if I could of conitued to play poker online and supplement my income at $25NL or $50NL, but now the future of doing that looks bleek.

My ultimate goal is to move to Vegas and finish (start) my college degree, and keep working on my poker game. I'd like to bartend when I move out there, but I only have serving experience so I know alot about drinks, wines, liquors, etc. but not how to make them or how to bartend. I walk into a gay bar all of that is excused just like a dumb chick with big boobs walks into Hooters and says um I like don't know how to waitress but I want to like work here.

I could handle all of the teasing from friends, because I'd probably just pull out a stack of hundreds and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm a little concerned about unknown factors, like will I be able to handle it. What does it say about me, not that I'm gay because I'm not, but I don't know it's just weird.

As weird as it is, than there's the financial side. I'm 28 with nothing going on in my life. I just totaled my POS car 2 weeks ago. I got no car, I'm like over $2,000 in debt my checking account is being closed down. I have to worry about rent for November. I can't afford anything I can't even take a girl out on a date. I'm about dirt poor. And that's hard to do deal with because this summer I was big balling out of control. It's really hard for me to go from that back to $1500 a month. I tried waiting at this spare restaurant bar & grill but that didn't work out. I work at a gay bar 2 years I'm a homeowner driving a relatively new car that is paid for with bartending experience and money to go to school with. Even if I only do it for 6-9 months I move out to Vegas have money to move with, move to start up with and enough experience to work as a bartender somewhere out there.

Ok so 2 questions, if you were in my shoes would you consider doing it? and Second does it make me gay (not literally but you know what I mean)?

Oh and I'll save you the trouble, SHIIP IT obviously! I know I'm asking alot of OOT but I'm looking for some semi serious responses, but comedy at my expense is always welcome too
Old 10-25-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Ok I\'m getting flamed for this post but I have to know

And WHAT would the problem be with bartending in a gay bar? It's 2006, man.

By the way, you will make an assload of money on tips alone.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 AM

It'll only be gay if you flirt with your customers.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As weird as it is, than there's the financial side. I'm 28 with nothing going on in my life. I just totaled my POS car 2 weeks ago. I got no car, I'm like over $2,000 in debt my checking account is being closed down. I have to worry about rent for November. I can't afford anything I can't even take a girl out on a date. I'm about dirt poor. And that's hard to do deal with because this summer I was big balling out of control. It's really hard for me to go from that back to $1500 a month. I tried waiting at this spare restaurant bar & grill but that didn't work out. I work at a gay bar 2 years I'm a homeowner driving a relatively new car that is paid for with bartending experience and money to go to school with. Even if I only do it for 6-9 months I move out to Vegas have money to move with, move to start up with and enough experience to work as a bartender somewhere out there.

Ok so 2 questions, if you were in my shoes would you consider doing it? and Second does it make me gay (not literally but you know what I mean)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that you are so insecure in your sexuality that this would even be a question. I mean, wtf, dude? You're 28, negative net worth, zero cash, zero cash flow, and weeks away from being homeless unless something changes. You find this opportunity to make mondo cash because you're lucky enough to be good looking, yet you're hesititating because of (1) fear of what others will think; and (2) fears of getting hit on by gay dudes? Really?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:03 AM

alot of guys are gay for pay, it's okay.

Why are you asking us if it's ok? we don't know you, or how much or how little of a homophobe you are. If you're okay with being perceived as gay, and constantly hit on by gay guys, and don't have a moral problem with leading them on (while behinad the bar) for tips then go for it. If it would totally disgust you then go work at Chilli's.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:07 AM

do it dude

you can make further $$ by ratting out people who are secretly gay (not that i would do that kind of thing, or that theres anything wrong with being gay)
Old 10-25-2006, 06:07 AM

I mean eventually you'll end up turning gay but WTF dude has to make a buck
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 AM

Depends on the bar. If guys are going to be grabbing your ass and calling you honey all night no chance in hell. If its a pretty nice establishment then why not?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll only be gay if you flirt with your customers for some reason other than earning a big tip

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, like everyone else has said, this is 2006. Noone cares that you tend bar in a gay bar. Take the money and run.

(Oh, and yeah, I know I left that 'big tip' thing open for a lot of dumb FYP jokes. Go ahead, I dare you!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])
Old 10-25-2006, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll be expected that you flirt with your customers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never been to a gay bar, but I expect that you would need to be friendly and flirty to your customer base. If you walk around thinking "f*ckin' h*mos," you won't even make it past the first night. I would suggest going to a gay bar or club for like 3 nights in a row and see how you react to constantly getting hit on, seeing guys making out, etc. If it doesn't really bother you, apply for the job.