Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 07:47 PM

Default when to screwplay?

against an unknown on a dry board, does it make more sense to screwplay on a turn scarecard or a turn blank? for instance -

the CO raises and we 3 bet from small blind with AKo. folded back to the CO who calls.

Flop is A83r we bet he calls
Turn is 6 of the 4th suit -- screwplay?

or same preflop, now
Flop is 963r we bet he calls
Turn is A of the 4th suit -- screwplay?

or against an unknown, do you guys just keep betting until you can get a read?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: when to screwplay?

screwplaying sucks when u have represented a big hand pf
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 PM

I would just bet in both of those hands. We don't have enough of a reason to believe that villain will bet when checked to, and then calldown with a worse hand.

Here's a recent screwplay that made my day. Villain was 81/33 over 36 hands, and in a few HU hands we played, he bet when checked to with a worse hand. The turn just set-off the screwplay alarm, and blaow!

Limit: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3.7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7.7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 13.7BB
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Moss that hand is hot. I never know when to correctly do this. I think there are quite a few times when I pound away where I could definitely get in a screw play.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 PM

Basically, I do it when I get HU with that annoying guy who keeps calling my c-bets, and then betting when checked to on the turn... especially if I had to fold more than once. Against players who are just super aggro in general, going for a bet-3bet is usually better.

First example: Bad time to screwplay, since CO will often be taking a showdown line with an underpair or planning to raise you anyway with an ace. In both cases, a screwplay attempt loses bets.

Second example: Bad time to screwplay, since CO is either hopelessly weak or just hit his ace. Again, I think a bet-3bet attempt is better.