Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 AM

Default AK Flops TPTK OOP Only To Get Raised Again

Villian is solid, likely 2p2er. Stats 21/16/3 through about 100 hands. We don't have much of a history and I think this was the first time we tangled. I wanted to post this hand after reading all the discussion about the other AK hand recently posted.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $257.90
Hero: $275.65
CO: $199.95
Button: $194
SB: $200
BB: $412.95

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, CO calls, 3 folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($17, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $16</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $64</font>, Hero...
Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: AK Flops TPTK OOP Only To Get Raised Again

I think this one's a little easier than the last AK OOP hand due to the three diamonds. He likely isn't playing just a flat flush draw as he can't have Axdd since it's on the board. He may have 45dd or 89dd or AQd for a combo draw or any 2pair/set hand. I think it's an easy fold. At BEST you're 65% but almost always you're much worse.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: AK Flops TPTK OOP Only To Get Raised Again

Three words: reverse implied odds.

You're likely ahead now, it's true. However, the board is ridiculously draw-heavy and you're OOP. You could already be beaten by a sneaky two pair or set, and even if you're not, look at all the scare cards: any card 3 through T puts a potential straight or trips on the board, any diamond puts a flush out there, and any non-K could potentially turn a dominated hand into a reverse-dominated hand. Even with a miracle K you could already be behind a set, or with a miracle A you could be drawing to three outs against a boat. Reverse domination + OOP + CO is paying for a big pot = time to fold.

You can swear when you do it, though.