Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 AM

Default Keys to High Stakes NLHE

Through my work with PokerWorks and Team PokerStars Blog, I've had a chance to interview a variety of different players, from emerging online players (e.g., Jason Strasser, Jeff Williams, CaptZeebo) to top bracelet winners as well as those who are struggling to make it. There seems to be a few key characteristics regarding those who have made the jump to a consistent winner at high stakes:
<ul type="square"> Support network: This seems to be the top common trait, with many of these players finding their network here at 2+2. The network seems to be small, almost like a study group would be. They breakdown difficult decisions, critique play, railbird on occasion, and provide general support.

Candor: Top players don't fool themselves, not only keeping detailed records but acknowledging to themselves where their results truly are. They seem to be very honest with themselves as to where their game really is.

Process focus: There seems to be a relentless focus on the how's of NLHE while factoring in the results more as outcome data to shape process decisions rather than the endgame itself.[/list]Oddly enough, bankroll management seems to have a wider correlation, or subjectively that is my assumption. What I mean by this is that some have utilized proper bankroll management principles, others have taken successful shots (eventually, often gaining and falling then gaining and sticking), while a few have made big scores in a tourney or through a brilliant run to build a sizable bankroll.

My question: Do you feel these assumptions are accurate, and are there any others that you would add?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Keys to High Stakes NLHE

I don't know how you would group these, but it is important to note people who lost their money either on other gambling games (craps, blackjack, etc) or through total tilt.

Early luck is also very important. Many players out there ran so hot early that after making money they didn't stop playing whereas if they'd lost their first buy-ins they probably wouldn't have kept going.

Obsessive personalities: people who dedicate themselves to getting better and obsess over various challenges and do their best to excel tend to do better at poker than those who don't, and you find a lot of such people among HSNLHE players.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Early luck is also very important. Many players out there ran so hot early that after making money they didn't stop playing whereas if they'd lost their first buy-ins they probably wouldn't have kept going.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really can't emphasize this one enough. Basically 100% of new players are results-oriented and winning big at some point early on is almost universal for the biggest winners today. I know of very few people who stuck it out for a year or whatever as a losing/break even player before turning it around. Most found success, deserved or not, very early and then progressed from there.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 AM

"Early luck is also very important. Many players out there ran so hot early that after making money they didn't stop playing whereas if they'd lost their first buy-ins they probably wouldn't have kept going.
"

Oh hell yes.

I was saving up 20 bucks a week from lunch money to take random shots at online poker, before I had any clue. If I hadn't ran sick hot early on, I'm sure poker would have faded away and I'd be poor and actually working to make money.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:33 AM

I thought the answer wuz gonna be "bluff raise the flop"
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 AM

Based on my personal experiences, and observations of other players, I completely agree with the OP.

I don't know about early luck though. I lost a couple of small buyins before my first run (also made with a small buyin, and at LHE cash games). My closest poker friend (and arguably the most successful one I know) played $5 sngs for months before becoming the luckiest player alive later in his career.

Half the magic players I started playing poker with were broke and/or in debt before finally making it big. I guess if you are completely dedicated, the early luck is less important.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I put $300 on Paradise a LONG time ago, like 1999. I didn't know anything about BR management. I lost it, probably playing $3-$6 limit and didn't deposit online again until 2004.

At that point, I not only had a good start, but I luckily found 2p2 and discovered BR management.

If only I had started off that way in 1999. I didn't even have a real job then.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obsessive personalities: people who dedicate themselves to getting better and obsess over various challenges and do their best to excel tend to do better at poker than those who don't, and you find a lot of such people among HSNLHE players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This to me is the key trait. I went through probably 4-6 cycles of depositing $50-$200 on Stars and running it up times 5-10 my initial deposit, only to go broke again and again. However, since I'm absolutely convinced that there's nothing I can't do long as I don't quit (just work your way through the negatives in that one), I kept reading 2+2 -definitely my #1 aid in becoming a decent player - reading books, etc, until it all finally just "clicked", and I literally went overnight from 3-tabling .25/.50nl to being able to beat (on semi-regular basis) 5/10nl.

Kirk
Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read in posts of captzeebo, bruiser and aba20 that they all at one point completely obsessed over poker (or still do), and could think of nothing else. For many it's a fun hobby, but for a few it's their LIFE (at least for a time).

This definitely helps in getting better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: Kirkrrr was faster. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 AM

i think this post is great.. definitly a good idea for all us non-baller posters/lurker's whom value you guys opinions but cant directly ask.