Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Am I too loose?

So i've been playing SSNL for about a month now, and I just got Poker Tracker registered today. Checking out my stats, my VP$IP is way higher than the numbers I routinely see on this forum. Over 7k hands, I am 32.57 . Most of the winning players in this forum seem to be in the low 20's or even lower. However, while I am sure variance is preparing itself to run up and kick me in the nuts, I am killing the game for 13PTBB/100.

Am I right in thinking I am too loose? Is that type of VP$IP going to ensure that I will lose at 50NL and 100NL? How have you guys been able to push your stats down?
Sorry for so much, thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Am I too loose?

Is that full ring or 6-max ? That's ok at 6-max but way too loose at full ring.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:15 PM

Another way to use PT is to use the data as a way to become a self guided missile. When you win, you play like that more often. When you lose, you fine tune it to get back to winning.
Great stats for you may be 32/20/? . At 13bb you definitely are doing very well. Why ruin a good thing.
when moving up, start from where you are, and agian use the data to fine tune youir game to a winning game. for sure, at higher levels the game is tighter, but you must still define your own game and your own style. fwiw
Old 01-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Baluga-

Don't worry so much about your preflop stats. I just reformatted and lost the bookmark I once had about a regular that was destroying the 200NL game with like 80/50 stats (if anyone here knows what I'm talking about maybe you could dig up the thread, search function is practically useless ) Post-flop play is king, I'm pretty sure Maulik is succesful 8-tabling with stats of 30/15. Play your own game, looks like it is working quite well, though 7k is a small sample size.

This post is kinda off topic but has some relevance and is should probably be x-posted in SSNL. Link

Regards-
Quarkncover
Old 01-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Baluga:

Your VPIP and your PFR don't match. You need to either increase your PFR to at least 16% or lower your VPIP to under 25%. A good starting point is to have your VPIP be no more than twice your PFR. If you can't think of a way to increase your PFR, then you need to tighten up your VPIP. If you can't think of a way to lower your VPIP, then you need to raise more preflop.

(My numbers are based off of about 300 hands watching you, where you were VPIP >31% and PFR ~12.5%. If those are not representative of your play, then please ignore my advice.)
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM

yeah, its full ring, and my PFR is about 13.2 .

So I am thinking the plan is something like this:
1) Cut down on playing marginal offsuit hands like JT, QT, QJ (I often have been playing these hands because I'm confident I can outplay on the flop). that's without facing a preflop raise, thank the lord. I'll never take QT to the flop against a raise.
2) Push a little more preflop, especially with pairs.
3)Be more aggressive in general?
My AF is 1.3... which isn't that high. It's so weird- I feel like I am being very aggressive postflop. Whether I have a piece, a draw, or a monster on the flop, I'm going to push it and see what happens. I suppose I am limping a lot of garbage hands (AT, J9) in LP with that in mind.

I know 7k isn't enough, but should I even fix something that doesn't appear to be broken?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 PM

Don't be too worried about fitting in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Generally, there are 2 reasons to play super-tight preflop;
You are playing several tables, and it's not worth dividing your attention, or
your postflop play is inferior to your opponents

Other than those two reasons, you *should* be playing relatively loose preflop IMO. If you can outplay your opponents then you would be leaving money on the table by folding marginal hands in good position.

Some people here also have a raise-or-fold mentality. That's not necessarily bad, but it's not the only way to play, and in some situations (especially marginal ones) it will be incorrect. So don't worry too much about your AF.

I would focus on specific hands and situations to improve, not stats.