Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 PM

Default I call down very light in tiny pot

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (2.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

I had taken a couple of very specific notes on this guy which guided me in this hand but unfortunately I can't reference them atm and I don't remeber the exact details. All I remember is that the notes I took led me to believe that he would not slowplay and that he was very aggressive. When he checks behind on the flop I think my pair is almost always good, and furthermore I would expect him to bet ace high in that spot, thinking he's usually ahead. I figured he probably had weaker overcards. The king wasn't the best card in the world but I think I'm good more than 1 time in 5 so I call again.

Good, bad, or ugly?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Default Re: I call down very light in tiny pot

Pre-flop: matter of personal preference

Flop: I assume you were hoping to C/R?

Turn: Your read indicates that you are ahead, and that he will surely fold if you bet. Allowing him to bluff sounds good, with a C/R being rather pointless.

River: Not the card we were hoping for... checking is mandatory of course. This could very well be a turn bluff/"yay, I hit my king!" line. Still, your read indicates that he could easily be bluffing with QJ/QT/JT/various suited hands. Good call.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I assume you were hoping to C/R?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 PM

Against a very aggressive player, I would not defend 64s v his UTG raise. I think you are going to end up folding the best hand too much to his bluffs, and paying off weak hands to often to his value bets.

As played, I fold the river. Do you think he's raising QJ or QTo UTG?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:53 PM

Gotta fold the turn since the ace hits a huge amount of his range.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 PM

really don't think I call this river with this card falling off. I like the rest though, I guess.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 AM

soah, you seem to be comfortable playing hands like this in the BB HU against a semi-steal (aggressive hijack raiser, 5-handed). This is a weak area in my game, so I would like to pick your brain a little bit if that's ok.

1) Is this a standard call for you in the BB, or did you loosen up because of your strong read on villain?

2) Suppose the flop goes check-bet-raise-3-bet-call. The same ace falls on the turn. Is the basic plan to check-call the turn (getting 6:1 with 9 fairly clean outs), then either fold the river UI or C/R and call a 3-bet if you improve?

3) Suppose the flop goes check-bet-raise-call. The damn ace falls on the turn. Is the plan to check-call the turn to induce a bluff/get to showdown/draw cheaply when behind, or to bet-call the turn to push out 2 big cards (no ace) now that the pot is a little bigger?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 AM

I usually defend suited connectors and one-gappers because they aren't dominated much. I don't know how good or bad it is, it's just what I do because that's what I've read other people say here that seem to know what they are talking about. I was planning to checkraise the flop and I didn't yet have a plan for what to do beyond that because there are just too many things to consider.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Those turn and river cards are killer. I fold the turn.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

As already stated, I fold the turn. Think of any and all hands he is raising with UTG. AA-77, AK-AT, KQ-KJ, perhaps QJs. The size of the pot on the turn is only 2BB. We are obviously not ahead of enough of his range at this point to continue. (Regardless of your read)