Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 05:11 AM

Default You\'re all far too negative....

If you think nothing can be done about this - you've already lost. You guys are silly if

A) you think the majority of Americans are for keeping POKER outlawed (let's not even talk about other forms of gambling... because what do we want? We want poker legal.)

B) You think organizing and educating other Americans about the issues is worthless.

This is just a setback gentlemen. Poker has been around for a very long time in this country and it's not going away any time soon. Bill Frist will rue the day he attached this piece of legislation to Port Security. It was undemocratic, it was underhanded and it was wrong.

This idea that organizing and standing up is worthless, and that American's are all worthless and won't do anything about it, is absolutely the PROBLEM in this country. You are the problem if you think nothing can be done.

This is one of those things that hits close to home. As people log into their poker accounts and are denied - then that means they were affected IMMEDIATELY by something their GOVERNMENT did. They will be angry - they will regret not acting sooner, but - so what? They will act later, it's never too late.

So, instead of throwing your hands up and saying "[censored], well - what's gonna happen now?" Instead say "Hmm, this isn't right - let's see what I can do about this."

We must organize. And it's not like we are facing a violent and opressive government that all those black people faced during the civil rights movement. Or that we are facing alien and sedition acts... no, this is a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier law to fight. We aren't facing a government who will spray us down with the hoses for standing up against it anymore. There will be almost no public support for what this bill manifests. People are going to be outraged.

This is just a setback.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 AM

Default Re: You\'re all far too negative....

[ QUOTE ]
People are going to be outraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately for us, I simply don't think this is true.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:29 AM

so who wants to start a riot? I'll bring the malatov cocktails.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 AM

A+ for effort man, but the American people don't care. How many news programs did you see over the weekend talking about the American outrage over the banning of online gambling? Online poker professionals make up a minute % of the American population, and the general American public just doesn't care about us. If this was a big deal, we would have heard about it in the news, or atleast somewhere. Much of the public doesn't even know about this, and when they find out, they won't put up a huge deal. Poker players don't believe the majority of Americans are for keeping "POKER" outlawed. Most of them don't care. But the ones who do care are very right, and very Christian. And these people do have power and they have massive numbers. Frist knows this and wants to keep them happy.

Hopefully something will be done down the road for online poker. But assuming most Americans will be outraged by this or that most online players think most Americans are against poker is a bit unfair.

I like your energy and hopefully the poker community can unite and make some sort of stand against portions of this legislation in the future.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suspect a lot of US players don't even know about the legislation yet. It wasn't exactly front page news, and what percent of Joe Six-Pack players come here for info? When Party sends out the emails about not serving US customers anymore, the stuff will hit the fan.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suspect a lot of US players don't even know about the legislation yet. It wasn't exactly front page news, and what percent of Joe Six-Pack players come here for info? When Party sends out the emails about not serving US customers anymore, the stuff will hit the fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this up until the "the stuff will hit the fan" part.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 AM

Will the average Joe not just shrug their shoulders, be a bit annoyed, go oh well and move onto a new hobby?

I suspect that most people have other things as a higher priority than not being allowed to play poker, I dont see millions hitting the streets and marching on Washington over this.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:40 AM

thats right. poker has virtually no lobby.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 AM

This may be a good thing for some states, the bill states it must be legal in the place of the wager and it must be legal in the place that accepts the wager.

California allows poker and this could ultimately be about stopping the movement of american money offshore and at some point allowing people to gamble online if it is legal in their state, and county and city. And of course ultimately American companies will take the wagers.

In a sense it is a national security problem. Alot of money is moving off shore and the government is wise to stop the flow. Small possibly radical countries can make millions allowing online gambiling. Ultimately it would be better if the american money stayed in america where it could trickle down to the rest of the population. If american companies are ever going to run the show the congress may feel offshore companies need to be banned as they have so much experience and resources that could probably outcompete american companies.

I play online but don't realy care if it is banned since I spend my time playing live at cardrooms. Playing live for me is much more profitable than playing online. To me I won't be losing the poker that I love.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Dont you understand that this bill protects more people then it hurts??? Cant you look outside of your own situation and realize that nobody gives a [censored] about a couple of thousand winning poker players who dont contribute a damn thing to civilization. But people do care about hundreds of thousands of kids playing illegally when they should be studying in school and grown men losing money that should be spent on their families. Believe me, I am on your side but it doesnt change the fact that overall this is definetly a good change. Sure, I lose my 250k a year but if I begin to imagine how many hours have been spent fighting in US households over online gaming it doesnt seem like such a bad thing. When I see people starting threads on these forums asking who would you rather kill? Bill frist or Osama bin laden.. Are you kidding me? It makes me sad to be an American. I got a job now and no, I dont feel bad that young/grown men wont be locked in their rooms for 80 hours a week trying to clear a party vip bonus.

That is all.