Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Default THEORY: Early tournament strategy?

Dumb question.

Does this forum, generally, suggest that you play looser at the beginning of a tournament or to play tighter at the beginning of the tournament. I could see arguments for both.

TIGHTER

Alot of our value comes from playing aggressive when there's an ante and on the bubble. It's alot easier to steal at these times when you have a tight image. In addition, you stand a good chance to making it to these stages by playing a tight game.

LOOSE

There are more bad people at the beginning of a tournament and you should try and play more hands against them. The stack sizes at the beginning of the tournament are deep enough that post flop play is more important (compared to later in tournaments - where bb to stack size ratio is small). You can accumulate a large stack early by playing aggressively which you can then wield throughout the tournament.

Which way do you suggest playing?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: THEORY: Early tournament strategy?

I play LOOSER early on($4-$33 buy-in levels). I think there are enough donks that are willing to call off their entire stack on a TPTK that it's profitable. In bigger buy-ins I tend to play TIGHTER early on since I do not think that my field advantage is as high and more people have decent post-flop skills.

ANY LEVEL - observe your table. If you see someone going to the felt with TPTK - lim in some hands that can hit big. If you see someone seriously underbetting the flop - play some drawing hands (I had a guy in $33 the other night - he was betting 60 into a pot of 540. That's good enough to draw to a gutshot!!!)
Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb question.

Does this forum, generally, suggest that you play looser at the beginning of a tournament or to play tighter at the beginning of the tournament. I could see arguments for both.

TIGHTER

Alot of our value comes from playing aggressive when there's an ante and on the bubble. It's alot easier to steal at these times when you have a tight image. In addition, you stand a good chance to making it to these stages by playing a tight game.

LOOSE

There are more bad people at the beginning of a tournament and you should try and play more hands against them. The stack sizes at the beginning of the tournament are deep enough that post flop play is more important (compared to later in tournaments - where bb to stack size ratio is small). You can accumulate a large stack early by playing aggressively which you can then wield throughout the tournament.

Which way do you suggest playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just aren't gonna find one answer. Some play tighter, some play looser. There is no mathematical or scientific evidence suggesting that one is better than the other.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no mathematical or scientific evidence suggesting that one is better than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true... If your table is doing one, make sure you are doing the other...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no mathematical or scientific evidence suggesting that one is better than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true... If your table is doing one, make sure you are doing the other...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite - if your table is too tight OR too loose you should loosen up.

If the table is too tight, bluff more but back down if you meet resistance. If the table is too loose, play more hands for value.