Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Playing Flush and OESDs

Is there some kind of guideline for when you can call the flop with a flush or OESD?

Quite often, if I have a strong draw and an opponent bets, it's either 1/2 the pot or the whole pot. In both cases I don't have pot odds to continue, but obviously there are implied odds to consider because if I hit on the turn, I "MIGHT" get another bet out of him.

I realize that stack size and whether or not the player in question is likely to pay off are both issues, but so is the possibility of hitting and getting beat by a bigger flush, etc....

Any basic guideline would be helpful. I can adjust from there based on the specifics.

Right now I am typically folding to a bet the full size of the pot, but calling a bet 1/2 the pot and taking 3-1 hoping to hit on the turn and get another big bet out of him.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Playing Flush and OESDs

I don't like calling pot-sized bets with flushdraws as it will be very hard to get money out of villains as the flush is very obvious. It's very player dependent but I usually either fold or raise. The OESD's I'm a little more willing to call because it will be a lot more hidden to villain.

I like to play my draws aggressively or not at all fwiw.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Thanks. These are often very marginal decisions I guess.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 AM

I agree....I rarely call with flush draws. I'll either raise or fold them. A little less aggressive with OESDs. Raising with draws will usually allow you to take it down right there, or allows you to win more when it does hit. If they call and I don't hit the turn I re-evaluate, but I'm usually done with it if they continue to show strength.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:05 PM

Raising draws to get fold equity is what makes up the difference between actual equity and breakeven.

Raising, reraising and checkraising should all be on the table if they get you the right amount of fold equity. Know your opponent.

Otherwise, pot odds with a realistic assessment of implied odds decide my actions.

The better my pot odds, the worse my implied odds, unless he's a slowplayer. He doesn't like his hand much, or is also drawing. Consider reraising.

If my pot odds are bad, he probably likes his hand. If my hand is disguised, my implied odds are good. I'll call up to pot on flop if stacks are normal.