Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Silly little hand - oesfd

Last hand or so of Ladbrookes (Prima platform) $20r rebuy period. 260 or so runners. I have 8k, good for top ten in chips.

(worth noting here that you can only rebuy with LESS than starting stack ie: 1495 so for this an other reasons, the play is lot less manic than Stars/Party rebuys)

I'm in SB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. One limper with 1-2k in ep, I complete, BB (1400) checks.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, BB donks the minimum 100, ep folds. I push. BB folds. I win a small pot. Given the strength of the draw and the the fact that BB has absolutely nothing and is not automatically calling and rebuying, should I attempt to build the pot here?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Silly little hand - oesfd

I push.

From his point of view, he has more to gain by doubling here or going bust than folding.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 AM

that line is fine.

I might have led the flop for around 100 with the hopes of getting raised so that I could push but your line is OK too.

Based on tournament conditions he is more likely than normal to be calling this push here and if you wait until the turn to make your big move and you miss then you are pretty far behind
Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 AM

You can almost guarantee you have +EV here on the flop, but maybe not by the turn. Less maniacal or not, I would probably push here as well and hope he calls with AT KT, straight draw...just hope he doesn't have 2 hearts too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 AM

I didn't think I could play the hand wrong. However, it's worth noting that if villain were not risk averse, he would have rebought already. He was playing it like a freezeout.

Nevertheless, because I'm OOP, short of donk raising on the flop, I'm relying on him to bet the turn, which he's unlikely to do, to get any more chips out of this hand.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 AM

Assuming you aren't against 2 hearts I reckon you are 55% or so here.Having said that, you have no hand yet, so I like the semi-bluff.

Can't see any sense in building a pot where you are behind and need to make a draw. Also, if you do get the pot a reasonable size, and you miss your draw, BB may feel pot committed and you will be losing all your bluffing chances.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM

My thinking was that I could perhaps donk raise him (make it 300) and then open push any turn or, better still, call a push on the flop.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM

I see your thinking, but then again, you are in a nice position chip wise, and are risking about 1/4 of your stack on a coin flip. He can buy back in, but you can't buy those chips back. All in all I would say, that you are better off taking a small pot at low risk in these situations.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 PM

Can you rebuy when all in in the middle of a hand? If so, pushing here seems automatic.

Hell, pushing with nothing would be automatic.

If you can't rebuy in the middle of a hand: You're 56% even against TP, 3:2 against a set. Can't see why putting money in when you're ahead would be bad.

The way I think about it is "would I push this after the rebuy period"? I think yes. I could see calling and check raising allin on the turn.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM

With such a strong draw and possibly 20+ outs Id play a pot
Its a risk reward, if you lead at it. do you expect him to go nuts on a turn that could help him?

Even so no need to push, pot bet will do the same job, no? Might even generate the action you seek on the hand?

Rammstein