Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 01:14 AM

Default 1/2 HORSE stud8 - should i fold earlier?

No reads, slightly loose game. Should I have gotten out on 4th or 5th or 6th, or is chasing half okay? Was my bet to get raised on 5th the correct play?

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
So far I feel good, wish the bringin hadn't called though.

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
That's bad, but 7-2 is not scary... maybe I should fold here, but seat 2 should have bet with aces or any non-sucky low hand. Call and see what happens?

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
I bet out hoping to get raised, since I'm not afraid of aces anymore and I'm almost certainly not beaten. It worked out pretty good I think.

6th Street - (7.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
I feel freerolled, but I still think I'm winning high. Check and call.

River - (9.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Easy call.

Total pot: (11.40 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $11.40 | Rake $0.50

Seat 1: [4c 3d 2s 7h As 8d 5s] (HI: a straight, Ace to Five; LO: 5,4,3,2,A)

</font>
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: 1/2 HORSE stud8 - should i fold earlier?

I hate big pairs in stud/8 passionately and this hand does a good job of illustrating why. Playing Queens in this hand isn't so bad however because of all the folds in between and you might get the BI out, so you have to raise here if you want to play it. The dead Q sucks and I'd probably fold this anyhow.

4th: 27 isn't too scary, but 5A is. I don't understand his check (may be drawing to a rough 8?) but after seeing a bet and a call from two low draws in front of me, I'm folding 4th. Seat 2 almost certainly has 4 babies or a pair of Aces, either of which really weakens your hand. Having a high-only hand against two low draws (one with an Ace) is Bad News.

5th: You're not folding here since you've picked up the FD but I'm in check-call mode now. Seat 1 now has an Ace which is very bad for you. He either has your high beaten, or you're getting free-rolled.

6th: May as well c/c
7th: Call and pray you escape with half.

I fold big pairs (99-KK) early and often. It's too easy to get outplayed by low draws or beaten by having them back into a better hand. And if you do win, it's a small pot or half of one. Rarely worth the trouble IMO.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

I fold this hand on third, because neither my queens nor my kicker are live.

I check-fold this hand on fourth, because an opponent caught an ace.

I check-fold this hand on fifth because two opponents now have aces, and one of them is playing her hand hard.

If I'm fool enough to see sixth street, I check-call here and on the river because the pot is now too damn big to fold.

I make a profit on my brick pairs ... largely because I stay out of situations like these.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM

4th is a definite fold.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to check if my hand is live; I always do in stud high, but not too often in stud 8.
I was probably lucky to only lose on the river as is.