Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Default countering preflop reraises and squeeze plays? 1000NL

I seem to notice that in the 1000NL games that a lot of people are reraising and making squeeze plays.

How do people counter this kind of extra aggression without the obvious tightening up too much?

It's annoying when you cold call a raise with something like 77 and BB a known squeeze player does his thing and repops it forcing you to fold. Does this cause more people to just reraise with 77, fold or start coldcalling with hands like AK+ and trapping?

Similar situation but now bad loose player cold calls your early raise and some dude squeeze plays? I've had this happen a few times, do you start limp/calling to not get priced out?

I also notice position reraises by agro players. hands like low/medium pairs and SCs are priced out and hands like AJo AQo are in a difficult spot.

Any links would also be appreciated

thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: countering preflop reraises and squeeze plays? 1000NL

I did a squeeze a couple of days ago against NMcNasty on Stars. He had coldcalled with 44 in the CO. After I squeezed he just shoved for his full stack and I folded my AQ.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM

I think that usually but not always discretion is the better part of valor. Particularly when the aggressor is in position. This isn't to say that you shouldn't sometimes take a stand. But often times waiting for big hands and trapping is effecive against the overagressive. It's also important to know you're opponents and to know who is capable of such plays and when. That should help you decide when you do want to take you're stand

Mixing up you're play is also important. You shouldn't always be reraising with hands like AK or JJ. Sometimes you can call the initial raise and if somebody squeezes (or you suspect they're squeezing) you can shove. This should put a chronic squeezer in some really bad spots and will discourage the practice when you're in the pot.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did a squeeze a couple of days ago against NMcNasty on Stars. He had coldcalled with 44 in the CO. After I squeezed he just shoved for his full stack and I folded my AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, that's pretty terrible. He has a small-mid pocket pair there a LOT.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 AM

I like to just call preflop and then push the flop. Or just let them bluff off their whole stack if they are that psycho. Or push preflop and make them call with JT, LOL.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Good post aggie...

Has anyone experimented with small 3-betting in position to effectively cancel someone from squeezing and put pressure on the opener w/out risking too many chips?

I usually put in pot sized 3-bets, but smaller 3-betting looks like it could work in some spots. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 AM

I do small 4-bets almost exclusively. Small 3-bets could probably be used to similar effect. The only issue is that when you're 4-betting you're almost definitionally going to be giving poor set odds. When you 3-bet small you run the risk of giving great implied odds.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do small 4-bets almost exclusively. Small 3-bets could probably be used to similar effect. The only issue is that when you're 4-betting you're almost definitionally going to be giving poor set odds. When you 3-bet small you run the risk of giving great implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but is this so bad when you have a crappy hand yourself? I'd love for someone to be playing small pairs to my small 3-bet. I c-bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot on the flop and expect to take it down the vast majority of the time w/ a SC or small pair myslef, or any 2 for that matter against some opponents.

OF course, you'll have to do this once in a while w/ AA/KK to balance, so in that case you could get screwed...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 AM

yes, that's what i was referring to. hard to balance that type of play. much easier to balance a bigger 3-bet. easy to balance small 4-bets though.

Hands like this are a lot cheaper than pushing.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($1407.53)
UTG ($249.69)
TWP ($749.50)
CO ($743.50)
Button ($630.10)
SB ($1386.92)

Preflop: TWP is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $22</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $78</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $300</font>, CO folds, SB folds.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 AM

Just a Q what do you do if villain 5bets allin with the 89h?