Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM

Default Question on WA/WB situations

Again and again I hear that the last thing you'd want to do in a way ahead/way behind situation is build a pot. In trying to tighten my game, I'm trying to build a better theoretical understanding as to why this is the case.

As far as I've always figured, there are two reasons not to attempt to build a pot in a WA/WB situation: most importantly, because you're folding out worse hands that have little chance of catching up, while spewing to the hands that beat you when you have no chance of catching up.
An example might be found in NLHE when you hold pocket KK and the flop comes A66r. Anyone that caught a piece of this board is way ahead and you're drawing to 2 outs twice; anyone that missed it is unlikely to improve to beat you.

Say your opponent checks, and recognizing the WA/WB situation, you check behind.
The turn brings an offsuit Queen, improving a lot of hands to be second best. While your hand remains either way ahead or way behind any of his possible holdings, would it not be prudent to build a pot at this point as it is unlikely your opponent would check a set, boat, or top pair twice to you? As your hand figures to be best, would it still be wrong to attempt to build a pot, and if so, why?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Question on WA/WB situations

[ QUOTE ]

Say your opponent checks, and recognizing the WA/WB situation, you check behind.
The turn brings an offsuit Queen, improving a lot of hands to be second best. While your hand remains either way ahead or way behind any of his possible holdings, would it not be prudent to build a pot at this point as it is unlikely your opponent would check a set, boat, or top pair twice to you? As your hand figures to be best, would it still be wrong to attempt to build a pot, and if so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as we've heard this said over and over, I think the decision as whether to bet or not should entirely be based on game factors. Factors such as your image, opponents, table flow, stacks, position, etc.. If my image is reckless I'm more apt to get a aggressive on this board as oppossed if it weren't since my opponent is likely to increase his calling range based on my past play.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Question on WA/WB situations

[ QUOTE ]
The turn brings an offsuit Queen, improving a lot of hands to be second best. While your hand remains either way ahead or way behind any of his possible holdings, would it not be prudent to build a pot at this point as it is unlikely your opponent would check a set, boat, or top pair twice to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're willing to take his second check as evidence that you have the best hand, then it looks like you've decided you're not WA/WB anymore. WA/WB usually assumes you have significant doubts as to whether your hand is good or not.