Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 10:41 AM

Default My career is on the line I think

Lately I have been having a hard time dealing with a lot of issues. I think I am suffering from depression, but havent talked to anyone yet. Now its really starting to affect my job/career for that matter. I mean, what do you do when you seem to have no friends and no one at works likes you either because they think you are a total waste? I wake up everyday and feel worse than the day before. I feel very unmotivated, a lack of caring, and nothing really makes me happy anymore. I think I've gained 20 pounds in the last month or so, and the only thing that seem to do anything is junk food. If you ever knew me before you would know that I HATE places like McDonalds, yet now that seems to be the food of choice. I dont have fun anymore either, dont laugh as much, dont cut up making jokes like I used to, and typically just dont socialize anymore because I just seem to feel unwelcome. I dont even feel welcomed at work, at least by some people. I going to try and talk to someone today but wanted to get some thoughts out on here first.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Re: My career is on the line I think

Your work situation isn't as bad as you think. It seems that bad because you want it to.

Also, if you stop being depressed everything will change. Approach life with a thumbs up attitude and double down on fun!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Go see a shrink. There's zero reason not to. Talk to your boss, tell them you're going through a depression, but are seeking help. If you have had any kind of successful career there before this, they'll normally work with you on this..

Ray
Old 09-22-2006, 10:49 AM

Talking to someone will definitely help, if for no other reason than you can say whatever you want and they will listen and try to understand. When you think about it, you probably don't have this opportunity very often.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Peter Gibbons: What if we're still doin' this when we're 50?
Samir: It would be nice to have that kind of job security.
Peter Gibbons: Lumbergh's gonna have me work on Saturday. I can tell already. I'm gonna end up doin' it, because, uh...
[nods]
Peter Gibbons: because I'm a big pussy... which is why I work at Initech to begin with.
Michael Bolton: Uh, yeah, well, I work at Initech and I don't consider myself a pussy, OK?
Samir: Yes, I am also not a pussy.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you stop being depressed everything will change.

[/ QUOTE ]

why didn't he think of that?! the key to his unhappiness...is his depression!

[ QUOTE ]
Approach life with a thumbs up attitude and double down on fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter Gibbons: Lumbergh's gonna have me work on Saturday. I can tell already. I'm gonna end up doin' it, because, uh...
[nods]
Peter Gibbons: because I'm a big pussy... which is why I work at Initech to begin with.
Michael Bolton: Uh, yeah, well, I work at Initech and I don't consider myself a pussy, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I was thinking...

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

OP - sorry to hear that. Yes, talking to somebody....anybody...would be a good thing. Maybe cross-post this in Psychology forum?

ScottieK
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM

This should be in the psych forum.

Sorry for being harsh, but you have to decide to change your perspective. Only you can change your outlook. Quit smoking dope/drinking/wolfing down junk food, or whatever it is that you're using as a crutch and choose not to be miserable. See a shrink if that's your thing, but realize that there's no panacea for how you feel. You have to do it yourself. You can't walk into a shrink's office and say "I'm miserable. Make me feel better."

Suck it up and make changes in your own life. Sorry bro, it's the only way you'll get out of this rut.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go see a shrink.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There's zero reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Talk to your boss, tell them you're going through a depression

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[nods]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I was thinking...

Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

OP - sorry to hear that. Yes, talking to somebody....anybody...would be a good thing. Maybe cross-post this in Psychology forum?

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it up to OOT to make me laugh for a minute anyway. I thought about posting in the psych forum but it looked like more people whinning about bad beats and running bad. Thus, OOT. Ok, so I am off to talk to the Doc.