Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Gap Theory?

Can someone tell me what the gap theory is? I just saw it mentioned in a post, and I didn't know what it was. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Gap Theory?

Do you mean Gap Concept?

If that's what the case, it basically means that you need a stronger hand to call a raise with than you do to raise yourself.

There's a good explanation of the concept in HOH1.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:31 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_strategy#Gap_concept
Old 09-20-2006, 03:13 PM

YAWL: http://poker.wikia.com/wiki/Beginner..._Concept.22.3F

Actually I'm happy that Wikipedia wants to improve their poker content, but their self-appointed policeman was so arrogant (e.g., calling PokerWiki's 2+2 links commercial spam) when I approached them about collaborating that I inferred that it wasn't worth the effort. That's usually how Wikipedia works -- the most obnoxious people are the ones who win out because they actually have the free time to ruin it for everyone else.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM

If I may be so bold as to add to the Gap Concept as defined thus far.

In general, you need a better hand to call a raise than to open raise yourself.

However, the "size" of the Gap is constantly in flux. For example, if you have a rock on your right who raises, I would deduce that you need a much better hand to play with him. However, if you have a loose fish to your right who raises every other hand, you do not need as big a hand to play with him. Thus, the size of the Gap depends on who is doing the raising among other factors.

There are also other situations that call for an adjustment to the Gap. In NL tournaments, there are situations where you stack size may become small and due to this desparation you need to reduce your Gap. Similarly, if you are a huge stack and mini-stack raises all-in you may wish to try to take him out with a large range of cards.

So in summary, the Gap Concept states that you must consider several factors when facing a preflop raise. The most basic factor is that your hand should be stronger than a hand you would have open-raised with. That Gap should then be constantly adjusted to the situation and the players.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 AM

This only seems to apply to your first decision in a hand when the pot is very small. Once the pot is big there are of course a lot more hands you can call with that aren't worth a raise.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This only seems to apply to your first decision in a hand when the pot is very small. Once the pot is big there are of course a lot more hands you can call with that aren't worth a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the gap concept applies on later streets as well. Anytime someone is making a bet or raise, they can factor in fold equity, but a caller can only win with the best hand. In general, you need a better hand to call any bet on any street than to make it in the first place.