Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Trans-Siberian Railroad

So next summer after I graduate from college, I am planning to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian railroad, starting in Beijing, and ending in Moscow. From there we will go on to St Petersburg, and his home in the Ukraine.

We plan on never spending more than 2 or 3 consecutive days on the train without getting off for a night or two.

Has anybody done this, or have any reccomendations for me?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Trans-Siberian Railroad

I went in January/February 2002, from Moscow to Bei Jing. I was 18 at the time, and arranged everything with a tour company as it was the start of the holiday [from Bei Jing on we were on our own].

When I used the tour company, we spend 2 nights in Moscow, then took the trans-mongolian route, 5 days "non-stop" (i.e. no major breaks) to Ulan Bataar in Mongolia. Stopped off for a 4 days there, before another 1 1/2 days to Bei Jing.

Things to consider:
1) it's tough to get a visa for russia. Really tough. Letter of invitation from companies etc. tough.

2) if you don't speak chinese, mongolian and/or russian, it may be a good idea to get most of the stuff organised via a tour company. I used 'the russia experience' based in London and they were good. Can't recommend others.

3) you can break the journey a lot if you use a tour company; if you can organise it yourself, I imagine the railroad will offer a ticket whereby you can frequently break your journey to stop off in Inner/Outer Mongolia, Irkustk, Ekaterinburg etc. etc. The TSR goes all the way to St Petersburg too, so such a ticket would allow you to stop off in Moscow.

4) if you go in Summer, it will be damn hot. If you go in Winter, it will be damn cold. REALLY damn hot / cold.

5) Each carriage has a hot water dispenser. I took a mug and lots of packet soups. mmm. Good for when you're too lazy to eat at the (pretty crap) dining car.

6) trains stop frequently, get off (once you're aware how long till the train moves again!!) and buy beer/food from the station store/people hawking it on the platform.

That's all off the top of my head. Enjoy, it's a great ride.