Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Default I\'m being exploited (bubble thing that people do to me)

This happens not too infrequently:

I have say 15xbb

SB minraises

i have odds, i call

flop sucks for me most of the time, of course, and i have no FE becaue i play at donk levels and i can't call down with 9 high

so, sb bets everytime and takes down pot

ugh
Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: I\'m being exploited (bubble thing that people do to me)

so don't call preflop with 9 high and 15x on the bubble.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:19 PM

F those pot odds. W/ a 15BB stack you shouldn't be worrying about pot odds preflop too much unless it's an all in situation. You may have correct pot odds but your reverse implied odds will make most calls incorrect. When the stacks are deeper it is fine to call min raises w/ junk hoping to hit big & win a big pot. W/ 15BB it is not.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:22 PM

These general post are pretty useless. Post some specific hands.

But, keep in mind that cEV!=$EV. So, just because donk min raises give you between 3 and 3.5-1 odds, doesn't necessarily mean you should be calling with a wide range.

When you are getting close to 10 BBs that extra BB you throw in the middle is worth a lot. Not only does it give you some re-raise fold equity, but it also is nice to have when/if you double up. It also maintains your opening fold equity for a few more orbits or when the blinds go up.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the stacks are deeper it is fine to call min raises w/ junk hoping to hit big & win a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not. it's just more wrong when you're shorter.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM

I'm not sure specific hands are that useful because it's more of a pattern that you need to identify and break.

SBs who constantly minraise your BB when folded to almost never have anything decent. Pick a reasonably strong hand range to play back at him with and reraise AI at the first opportunity - 15BB is the ideal stack size for this. Chances are, he'll stop doing it.

If you do this 1 in every 3 times he does it to you, you steal back as much as he steals from you. It may also discourage button from trying it on with you too much.

If you're deep enough, call with a decent hand and raise a decent amount when he minbets the flop, regardless of what you have. It might sound expensive, but it'll be a lot more expensive if you encourage him to keep doing this by folding or calling then folding.

Watch carefully for how he reacts to this - if he quits for a few orbits and then suddenly does it again, be very careful indeed. Feel free to call with a good speculative hand and try to stack his aces.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Interesting replies. FWIW I almost always call in this spot too, but I'm not afraid to play some post-flop poker with a short stack.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting replies. FWIW I almost always call in this spot too, but I'm not afraid to play some post-flop poker with a short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing the short stack well is a skill in of itself. So, are you really playing the short stack optimally if you are seeing flops and playing 'postflop poker'?

It's still push or fold poker on the flop. So, out of position, you are either open pushing, check/pushing, or check/folding.

In position, you are either pushing over a bet or calling a push, folding to a push/bet, or checking behind.

There really isn't much 'poker playing' to be had. You really have no idea where you stand on just about any flop until after your chips are in the middle.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When the stacks are deeper it is fine to call min raises w/ junk hoping to hit big & win a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not. it's just more wrong when you're shorter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have worded it differently. It is ok to call min raises with some junk hands like offsuit connectors & 1 gappers when deep stacked IMO.