Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Double Stack Tournaments

I've been playing a few of the double stack tournaments on full tilt lately. I generally am able to play much better with deeper chips in cash games by taking advantage of implied odds etc., but in these tournaments i keep finding myself down to about 2k (after starting with 3k) within the first 10 or 15 minutes.

So, now i'm wondering if it's a better strategy to just sit on that deep stack for longer and just wait for big hands. I know it's dependent on many factors, but what's your default playing style in tournaments that start you with 100 or so BBs?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Double Stack Tournaments

why don't you try posting some hands where your starting stack is 100 or so BBs.

then, we call can all work together to figure it out.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM

I haven't looked at the structure you're talking about, but it sounds similar to UB's typical tourny where you start with 150bbs and you get to play relativly deep for about an hour. I do burn chips here with speculative hands (suited connectors and low pocket pairs), but I always try to make sure I don't get too carried away because the depth in these only lasts for a little while. If you really want to play deep and take advantage of implied odds, try the deepstack tournys on stars. You start with 250 BBs and the levels are 30 minutes long. Playing this deep for this long your game is ALL about implied odds. Fun, but you'll have to make a day of it if you're any good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing a few of the double stack tournaments on full tilt lately. I generally am able to play much better with deeper chips in cash games by taking advantage of implied odds etc., but in these tournaments i keep finding myself down to about 2k (after starting with 3k) within the first 10 or 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That means you're not getting the correct implied odds in my opinion or you've just been unlucky. Just treat it like a cash game during the period where the average stack is 75 BBs or more and you'll be fine.