Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 12:47 PM

Default PS $33 - Standard Push?? and Villains\' Ranges

First post on this forum, so bear with me. I've been playing the $33's on PS for a while and have been faring pretty well. Yesterday, tourney starts and I realize I have a guy who finished 6th in the PS Sunday 500k guaranteed sitting to 2 to my right (button). Figured "this should be interesting" and it sure was.

So, reads to this point from MP are nothing special - tight passive if anything. Button has been all over the place and tries to limp every chance he gets. I've been isolating with position and have acquired a good stack here. My thought here was to overpush with KK figuring MP1 drops and button is finally sick of me raising pots he limps into and calls. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP (t2720)
CO (t1260)
Button (t2777)
SB (t1095)
Hero (t4535)
UTG (t1113)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4535</font>, MP calls t2320 (All-In), Button calls t2377 (All-In).

Flop: (t10082) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t10082) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t10082) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t10082
Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: PS $33 - Standard Push?? and Villains\' Ranges

Very standard. I might raise it up to 1200, just to make the Button or MP think they have FE. But if you have been pissing Button off and think there is a good chance you'll get a call, shove.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: PS $33 - Standard Push and Villains\' Ranges

welcome to the forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

this push is pretty automatic. you have the second-best starting hand possible. you definitely cannot lose sleep over this.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 PM

I guess I could elaborate a bit. Obviously I have to raise in this spot. Lately, I've been just shoving in a lot with a bigger stack to really put the pressure on medium stacks. So, I'm wondering if some of you were in MP or button's shoes... what do you put me on? what do you call with? I really have a question regarding the button's call in this hand - put I'll post that a bit later. Again, I was working from the beginning under the assumption this guy was a solid player given the fact he just made 28k on Sunday. But maybe it was his girlfriend playing here or something like that.. who knows. Anyway, will get to that in a bit for more comments.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:56 PM

In STTs, I don't think there are really many opportunities at any buy-ins to fold KK preflop. In MTTs, perhaps you can find a spot where it isn't worth it to call someone you know is really tight. But with the STT structure, you have to push.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM

I'm definitely not even considering EVER folding here (not in this exact situation for sure). The question is more whether to shove or just raise. Obviously, i got the best possible outcome here. More curious as to what possible ranges are on villian's here.

Oh, thanks for the welcome. I've been browsing and reading for a while now, but this was just something I had to get out there in case I'm missing something big. I really want to post the calling hands here, but know I should wait for a bit more interpretation before doing so. Also, another hand with button villian to follow shortly.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM

I usually don't cold call much at all in villains position here. But if I did, I am putting you on JJ+,AK. If I think you suck and have been full of it for a while I probably put you on 88+,AJ+.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM

OK.. since the replies have slowed in coming in, I'll share the results to maybe get some insight to my question of.. WTF?!?!?!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP (t2720)
CO (t1260)
Button (t2777)
SB (t1095)
Hero (t4535)
UTG (t1113)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
1 fold</font>, MP raises to t400</font>, 1 fold</font>, Button calls t400, 1 fold</font>, Hero raises to t4535</font>, MP calls t2320 (All-In) with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Button calls t2377 (All-In) with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop: (t10082) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn: (t10082) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River: (t10082) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Final Pot: t10082

So... MP yes. Button, after a call, huh? Just completely flabbergasted to see it from someone who made final table in the 500k this weekend and was wondering if there was some logic I'm missing.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM

Should have known this would turn into a bad beat post. Had all the signs, monster hand, standard play.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM

nope. it's really just terrible. i mean he's getting &gt;2:1... but he's still got a really poor holding. sorry he sucked out.