Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Interesting hand to discuss from $320

What is your line from here on out? I'll respond with what I think is the best line after some good responses/discussion.

Stars $320 mtt. Villian is wildan, who I think is pretty good, but not so standard and on the laggy side for sure.

PPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 (t2290)
CO (t6105)
Button (t1765)
SB (t2005)
BB (t2938)
UTG (t2553)
UTG+1 (t2885)
MP1 (t3010)
Hero (t4494)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t475) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t320</font>, Button calls t320, BB folds.

Turn: (t1115) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand to discuss from $320

Seems like he could be on a flush draw here and is trying to make it look like he has a ten. He's probably not putting you on a Ten since you raised preflop. He's probably putting you on two high cards that missed since your flop bet looked like a continuation bet.

I would call here and then push a non-diamond river.

Edit: It also seems that he is trying a steal since you checked the turn and probably figures his read of you having two high cards is more correct. Given that a second Ten fell and you checked, he's probably coming after you with a PP of some sorts, maybe 77, 99, or JJ. Maybe even A8. A flush draw as I stated earlier is probably less of a possibility the more I think about it.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM

i'd barrel the turn myself.

since you checked and he has committed almost 50% of his chips- i advocate the dreaded MINRERAISE!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Weak lead the turn so button *may* think he has some FE and come over top.

As played you basically have to put him all in, he only has 1000 behind and pot is at 1400, not enough room left to get fancy.

You could call and check/call the river, but your probably getting called here by hands that may check behind the river.

Turn weak lead is best way to get his chips.

I don't dislike the check, now you got what you wanted, a bet, now get the rest in there as he has less than pot left in his stack.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't dislike the check, now you got what you wanted, a bet, now get the rest in there as he has less than pot left in his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in fact, I like a push here now on the turn. If he wants to put his money in now, he's going to do it here whether you push the turn or the river. If he isn't putting anymore money in, he's not going to put anymore money in after a river push either, unless he has a monster that he thinks he has you beat.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM

your check here caused more problems then you needed.

btw, did he have the flush draw or the flopped set? obviously one of the two.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your check here caused more problems then you needed.

btw, did he have the flush draw or the flopped set? obviously one of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]
How have you not been banned yet
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 PM

IMO checking turn is a big mistake on this board. Your hand is very concealed and if you fire again a lot of people might think it's a 2nd barrel bluff-- given that a lot of overpairs would now check the turn. If you bet the turn I don't expect villain to always fold an underpair, and very often could get tricky with other random [censored].

Given your line however, I'd just shove the rest in now, he only has 1000 left and it's not like you will get a huge bet on the river from a marginal hand.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weak lead the turn so button *may* think he has some FE and come over top.

As played you basically have to put him all in, he only has 1000 behind and pot is at 1400, not enough room left to get fancy.

You could call and check/call the river, but your probably getting called here by hands that may check behind the river.

Turn weak lead is best way to get his chips.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my line as well. I practically expect to be raised on the turn with this betting pattern, so there's no need to be cute. Just walk right into it.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:47 PM

I checked turn b/c most normal aggro players love to shove when checked too. I felt another bet will make him think I am committed and thus won't play back at me with as much as I would like.

Here are my thoughts:

He does not have a flush draw. I am confident he would have raised the flop if he did, ir push the turn when checked to.

So the possibilities for his hands are:

22, 88, 8T, 2T- all HIGHLY unlikely except for MAYBE 88 but I don't see him playing it like this. Anyways, if he does, he's getting my chips.

mid PP/8's- probobly the most likely part of his range.

air/overs- somewhat likely as I had been raising and c betting a lot

overpair/lower ten- possible, not likely, but any way I play it I am getting his chips.

So what it comes down to now is getting value from a mediocre holding/air. Obviously I can't raise the turn here . As for the best river play, he's probobly checking behind most pairs which is what I think he has here. If he is bluffing/missed a draw, there is a decent chance he will shove his last 1k in here. BUT, I feel the best line would be to take a while, call the turn, and then make a rediculously small river bet, somewhere b/t 200 and 250. He very likely will read it as a blocking bet, especially if the flush hits (which I'm almost don't mind here to give him a bluff card). He will be just as inclined to shove a bluff IMO, and if he does have a crappy made hand that he would check behind, I'm at least getting a few chips I wouldn't get otherwise. Thoughts?