Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Default High Stakes Poker 09/11

I'm surprised there's no thread started yet. Let the games begin!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker 09/11

Gabe just announced that the producers will be banning prop bets in the next HSP. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't care much one way or the other.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 PM

It could be good for the viewers, if the guys aren't making money in props they may care more about the game at hand. I seem to remember Negreanu saying that he was up 150k or so in props after the show and it making losing in the game not too big a deal.

However, without the props we may not get to see anybody steaming due to losing at them...i dunno...I guess I don't care much either
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

borrrrrrrrrrrrringgggg
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM

Is it possible that HSP will never reach the awesomeness of season 1? I think it could be because, while that season gave us the rare look inside the biggest game in the world, this season seemed much more contrived. What do you guys think?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gabe just announced that the producers will be banning prop bets in the next HSP. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't care much one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

the props are the best part

the $100,000 bad beats are ok, but i'd rather see the more "fun" part of this game, instead of standard poker play that is already on WPT and WSOP episodes
Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 AM

I love the prop bets. If you're watching HSP, you want insight into how the big names play cash games, and they play with props.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 AM

I think the props are fine, but the constant discussion of them isn't. As Phil said on the show, it kills the other random stories and discussions. All you can hear is murmuring of props.

I think they should work a little harder to inject some randoms into the show. Get some rich dudes who would be happy to pay $100k or $200k to pony up and be on TV. It gets to be a little bit of an old boys club too much, with the same faces.

Also, I think Daniel is great to watch for the most part, but maybe he should take a break and give up his seat for a few episodes.

And they should try to show more hands. They need to trim out some of the showboating, or maybe edit it to show the showboating in a more compressed way. Do something like say "Eli thought for 3 minutes before folding" as you cut to the fold.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 AM

Oh, another thing I would enjoy is if they did some more post-game or mid-game interviews. Like after a big hand if they could call the player over and be like "wow, that was a big hand. If you don't mind me asking, why did you make that call?"
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that HSP will never reach the awesomeness of season 1? I think it could be because, while that season gave us the rare look inside the biggest game in the world, this season seemed much more contrived. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. It seems to me like it's a victim of its own popularity; players want to be on the show but it's beyond their normal limits so they play like nits.

It also seems to me like they're trying to squeeze more episodes out of the same period of time compared to Season 1, resulting in more "boring" hands being shown.

I still greatly enjoy the show, however.