Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Default td 2-7 the \"showdown\" hand

in 6 handed limit holdem if i take teh flop heads up, when we get to the river i am showing down top pair 100% of the time and middle pair 99% of the time. some high limit experts advocate never folding a pair and even showing down AK hi. what is the tripple draw equivalent hand?
if you "take teh flop" in Td heads up. when you get to the river, what hand are you basically never folding. i would guess any 8. how about any 9? probably not 98762? what do you guys think?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: td 2-7 the \"showdown\" hand

[ QUOTE ]
in 6 handed limit holdem if i take teh flop heads up, when we get to the river i am showing down top pair 100% of the time and middle pair 99% of the time. some high limit experts advocate never folding a pair and even showing down AK hi. what is the tripple draw equivalent hand?
if you "take teh flop" in Td heads up. when you get to the river, what hand are you basically never folding. i would guess any 8. how about any 9? probably not 98762? what do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

outside of 23458 or lower, I don't think there is any equivalent in TD, rough showdown is situational for me, not formulaic. But I would admit I won't showdown rough hands in a small pot.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: td 2-7 the \"showdown\" hand

Highly opponent-dependent.

If you are against an opponent who is consistently drawing two, then one, then standing pat, you can show down with any non-pair.

If your opponent is tight and unimaginative you'd better have an 8 or a smooth 9 to make that final call in a smallish pot.

Some opponents will happily draw to a T on the first round if they sense you can be pushed off the hand on the 'turn'. This can be devastating if you are out of position. (A made T-high is generally a slight dog to a 1-card 8 draw or better with two draws to go, even if the drawing player doesn't keep a 9, but it's a slight favorite over a 2-card 8 draw. But if you won't call without a hand that beats a T, or fold early to a 'pat' hand--- well, it really doesn't matter whether he made his hand or not, does it?)

Tapirboy is of the opinion that being excessively showdown-bound is one of the major weaknesses Hold'em players bring when playing short-handed triple draw. I tend to agree--- such players tend to make major Sklansky errors on the big bet streets. It is much easier to be drawing dead in short-handed TD than in short-handed HE.

What would a general answer look like? One way to approach it might be to look at real hand distributions at showdown.

I posted my results from about 2000 hands (700 showdowns) at 10/20 here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...page=&vc=1

If you're getting, say, 6:1 on the end you only need to win one time in 7, so could call with about the 85th percentile of showdown-winning hands. This comes to about T8xxx based on the data above. But we would get a better answer by separating out the collected information into "bet on river by pat hand", "bet on river when both drew one", and "checked through".