Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Default How is my line?

Final table of 45man 1.20$. The bubble has just broken, and the table is loosening up.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t9030)
CO (t16216)
Button (t4165)
SB (t8411)
BB (t13607)
UTG (t16071)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t1725) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, BB calls t1200.

Turn: (t4125) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t6805 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t6805.

River: (t17735) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t17735
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: How is my line?

I like pre-flop. I like flop. I have no idea why you decide to overbet/push the turn. Was that read-related?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like pre-flop. I like flop. I have no idea why you decide to overbet/push the turn. Was that read-related?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not convinced about my play there, that is why I posted this hand. What I was thinking though, is that I needed to keep betting, something close to the pot. Any bet would commit me totally. So why not push, I really want to avoid getting sucked out on here.

If he would turn out to have a four in his hand, I don't think I can avoid going broke?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not push, I really want to avoid getting sucked out on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing is a +EV play but I think here there are far more times that you are scaring off far more hands that will call again and commit themselves to the pot and commit themselves to the pot than you will get to call you. Not always but in general.

The main thing here though is this: successful poker involves getting maximum value of hands where you feel you are ahead. Trying to close hands down because you're scared of getting sucked out is not winning poker.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not convinced about my play there, that is why I posted this hand. What I was thinking though, is that I needed to keep betting, something close to the pot. Any bet would commit me totally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your train of thought is in the right direction but your reasoning is wrong. You are right that any bet, especially a PSB commits you so in that case, pushing is correct. 4 or 5 handed (i forgot) You are folding this never. An option you try next time is to c/r all in on the turn or the flop for that matter.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing is a +EV play but I think here there are far more times that you are scaring off far more hands that will call again and commit themselves to the pot and commit themselves to the pot than you will get to call you. Not always but in general.

The main thing here though is this: successful poker involves getting maximum value of hands where you feel you are ahead. Trying to close hands down because you're scared of getting sucked out is not winning poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not like he had trips. At that point all he had was top pair, I think pushing protects this hand. I do not think protecting your had is scared poker.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM

i think w/ blinds where they are- i just bang 2k at the turn and absolutely vomit if i get reraised..... then i gauge how likely it is this silly sob check called w/ bottom pair.

if flat called on the turn i think i'd cram river if checked to.

the sticky point of not pushing the turn is that the blinds are 200/400 and if you bet 2k you could still get away if you have to and have 10bb to play. not a very healthy stack but better than if you push here and are drawing dead somehow.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not like he had trips. At that point all he had was top pair, I think pushing protects this hand. I do not think protecting your had is scared poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has TPTK on an innoucous board with one very obvious draw. Hero really doesn't need to protect his hand. Hero needs to win as many chips as possible for the very, very many times that he is ahead and minimise his losses for the very, very few times he is behind.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 PM

I'd probably check behind to hopefully induce a bluff on the river. This way you make it look like you were just continuation betting with AK and might get some more money out of a weak queen or 88ish type hands. You might have gotten paid off by such a thing anyway, but i think you would get more over the long run by feigning a bit of weakness here.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM

i'd never ever check behind here....

your much more likely toget a full double up out of this if you bleed your stack into the pot imo.