Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM

Default classics on road trips

I don't own a car, but when I do get one I intend to get a late '70s Corvette. I'm concerned though that once it's looking good and has a sweet paint job that I'll be afraid to take it anywhere.

Do road trips really wear out your car that badly? Am I more likely to chip the windshield or scratch the paint with city driving or highway driving? What should I do if I intend to own a classic car like this but actually drive it as my only car? What questions aren't I asking that I should be?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: classics on road trips

Depending on what you mean by road trip, this could vary a lot. I think the bigger problems you are going to have with a late 70’s corevette are:

1. luggage space, or lack thereof
2. ride quality. These things are INCREDIBLY harsh on the old backside
3. you can get a bra, protector for the front to use on road trips, this will cut down on the chips
4. fiberglass body, so if you do have the unfortunate situation of taking out a dog, or a deer, it’s going to be ugly,

as far as mechanically, you are much better off on a road tirp (assuming you aren’t going 150) than driving around in town, much easier/safer on the vehicle.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 PM

another thing i would add, that if you live anywhere where there is bad weather, only having a late 70's corvette is going to be a problem. If you stick with the original, worn out, and underpowered engine, you still will have a problem in any rain or god forbid snow. If you get an engine with actual power in the thing then you can kiss it good bye in inclement weather.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 PM

I've taken my 80 corvette on road trips to c-town before, and it's worked out ok. I use a bra and rock chips aren't a problem, it's a little uncomfortable for long periods of time. Gas is a real problem since I have a suped up engine that's a real pig. BTW, I hope you're not planning on driving it in the winter.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:39 PM

Do you want a calssic Corvette so it can sit in the garage, and you can look at it once a month? Probally not, you want to drive it. Remember, any damage done can be fixed. Just don't spend $50k on a one of a kind or special model, get a base model, make it road ready and drive!

As for making it your daily driver, I would hesitate getting rid of your current daily ride. While the corvette can be made to easily be your daily cart, there is alot to be said for modern fuel injection and car construction. Its real easy jump in the car throw it in drive and takoff. Have you ever had to have an engine warm up before? How about seeing out your windows when it rains (far from modern defoggers). I'm guessing your not a mechanic, do you even know how to tune a carburator, or adjust points? Do you plan on taking it to a mechanic evey time it starts running poorly (often)?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you want a calssic Corvette so it can sit in the garage, and you can look at it once a month? Probally not, you want to drive it. Remember, any damage done can be fixed. Just don't spend $50k on a one of a kind or special model, get a base model, make it road ready and drive!

[/ QUOTE ]
AMEN! That's the attitude I try to have, but I don't want to drive it into the ground and I want an idea of the maintenance that will be required. Sounds like it's doable so far.

[ QUOTE ]
As for making it your daily driver, I would hesitate getting rid of your current daily ride.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting rid of nothing leaves you with nothing. I just want the car for flash - I walk/take the bus/ride in my GF's civic normally.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had to have an engine warm up before?

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had to have your soul warm up before you go outside to start your car? I live in Canada.

[ QUOTE ]
How about seeing out your windows when it rains (far from modern defoggers).

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a trained squinter.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing your not a mechanic, do you even know how to tune a carburator, or adjust points? Do you plan on taking it to a mechanic evey time it starts running poorly (often)?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a mechanic, and no I don't know how to tune my carburetor. I think I can learn unless it's pretty hard. I have a strong DIY ethic. I plan on taking it to a more worldly man in my life every time it runs poorly, bribing him with beer, and learning to do it myself from him whenever he fixes something.

Basically it sounds like it's a medium sized pain, but I can deal with that to drive a beautiful car. I might hold off on the neon pink paintjob to maintain resale value though, until I'm sure I can handle the maintenance.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Sounds like your good to go.

Might I reccomend a "69", the most beautiful of all corvettes!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending on what you mean by road trip, this could vary a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually 700-1000 km roundtrip, but I might try putting 2-3000 km on it at once.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the bigger problems you are going to have with a late 70’s corevette are:

1. luggage space, or lack thereof

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm an expert packer, but I'm not shy to make use of the luggage rack:

[ QUOTE ]
2. ride quality. These things are INCREDIBLY harsh on the old backside

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't so cool. How harsh? Anything I can do? I'm not really looking for an authentic restoration, but instead an older corvette with some work done to it (modern tires, possibly gas shocks, other changes to make it drive better).

[ QUOTE ]
3. you can get a bra, protector for the front to use on road trips, this will cut down on the chips
4. fiberglass body, so if you do have the unfortunate situation of taking out a dog, or a deer, it’s going to be ugly,

[/ QUOTE ]
A bra, though ugly, sounds like a very practical idea. As for deer, I usually take a truck hunting. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
another thing i would add, that if you live anywhere where there is bad weather, only having a late 70's corvette is going to be a problem. If you stick with the original, worn out, and underpowered engine, you still will have a problem in any rain or god forbid snow. If you get an engine with actual power in the thing then you can kiss it good bye in inclement weather.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good tip - I'll look for a modified one like Redd drives.