Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Balancing shcool with poker.....

This is going to be my 3rd year of college and this year I need to do well in school. I live in Reno, Nv and it is a 24 hr town. The previous years I have spent in college consist of heavy drinking, little to no sleep, lots of gambling and a poor grade point average. I live in a fraternity house so this makes it even harder. I guess my question is how do you balance school, poker and a social life? Any tips on how to make time for all of these activities and what has helped you keep a "decent" grade point average?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Balancing shcool with poker.....

set priorities

its all self dicipline, same as not tilting

doin work b4 play.. same [censored]
Old 09-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Well for one, games suck during the day. If your not a lazy ass and get up at a decent time, you should have plenty of time to get your schoolwork and personal chores out ou the way before the games juice up.

This has been most helpful for me.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM

Do you goto UN-R I take it? One of my good friends from HS plays basketball for the Wolfpack
Old 09-06-2006, 03:48 AM

I've had problems with this to, and am also a 3rd year trying to get his [censored] together. here are a few things I did that have helped me.

1. buy an Agenda book. sit aside one day, look through all your syllibi, and write down every reading/writing assignment you have for the rest of this semester. it makes a lot easier to not forget things.

2.Set aside times for all your activities, i.e. have study time, poker time, fun time, etc. It also helps to have seperate places for these activities, as it helps you get in the right mindset. this is extra true for you since you live in a frat house. get out, go to the library or some study hall on your campus to do your work, it'll be much easier to concentrate.

3. organize other things in your life. Eat healthier, go to the gym more, get on a regular sleep schedule. drink less. you'll feel a lot better and it'll be much easier to get stuff done.

4.be unforgivingly honest and critical of yourself, but not harshly so. Look at the reasons and motivations behind what you do. are your grades slipping because you drink/gamble too much? are grades important to you? then drink and gamble less. These things can seem difficult at times, but if you really think about it, it's not rocket science
Old 09-07-2006, 03:27 PM

the first mtt i won i was studying for an organic chemistry test for the next day and got a 99 wooohooo.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Im going to go with....

you should focus a little more on "shcool."
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM

You should check out my last post in psychology forum. I basically gave my situation and the answer is that I had to stop playing poker. If you want to do really well in school and have a difficult major then poker will need to wait...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 AM

This is ridiculous. Just because you don't have the ability to focus on poker and school at the same time doesn't mean everyone else is the same way. I'm no engineer but my major (Political Science) requires heavy, heavy reading, and I manage poker and school well.

OP: I like what the earlier post said about being honest with yourself. Because you have asked the question, it's obvious you want to make both work, and only you can determine if that's possible.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 PM

Theres also a thread on this in the SSNL forum for more feedback.