Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Avatar

Where do I find an avatar? And where on my profile do I upload it?

AMG
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Avatar

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but of well ...

You want a 2+2 avatar ? I dunno ... there are hundreds of sites. Either crop a picture, on do a search for avatars, "msn display pictures" or something along those lines ...

And, you'll be able to change it in : "Personal information, email, password, etc."
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 AM

Google images is good place to look. Search on whatever interests you ("images" vs. "web"), follow the picture link to the source, copy&paste the url in your personal info/avatar tab.

You can also upload personal pictures, and host them at a variety of free sites (like photobucket) - again, obtaining the url for the update here.

Also search on Stuey's "avatar garage" link in OOT. He's an avatar wiz. There are a ton floating around in that link. He hosts many of these personally. Just right click one, and find the url in it's properties.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Google images is good place to look. Search on whatever interests you ("images" vs. "web"), follow the picture link to the source, copy&paste the url in your personal info/avatar tab.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the website you are using for the picture is any good then this will often not work, and will produce some kind of "don't hotlink to images on our site" warning image. Even if it does work it is considered bad form.

The correct thing to do once you have found an image you like is save the image on your hard disk, then use one of the free image hosting sites like imageshack, then use the URL they provide for the image.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the website you are using for the picture is any good then this will often not work, and will produce some kind of "don't hotlink to images on our site" warning image. Even if it does work it is considered bad form.

The correct thing to do once you have found an image you like is save the image on your hard disk, then use one of the free image hosting sites like imageshack, then use the URL they provide for the image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up. A lot of us are guilty of Bandwidth Theft and we probably haven't thought much about it, but we are costing someone money.

Your imageshack.us suggestion is the perfect answer to avoiding BT when we are posting images or setting an avatar.

[ QUOTE ]
A simple analogy for bandwidth theft: Imagine a random stranger plugging into your electrical outlets, using your electricity without your consent, and you paying for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Bluefeet is right you can use the avatars I host without rehosting them. I get unlimited bandwidth on my photobucket account. I have used 24GB already this month. Feel free to pm me if you have further avatar questions or problems.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:41 PM

I might also suggest that you put the current image in Paint/Photoshop/Gimp and crop it so that it is square. Otherwise it gets "squeezed" in one direction.